Founded in 1954, the School of Special Education is committed to excellence in basic and advanced teacher preparation in special education.
Goal: The faculty of the School of Special Education shall facilitate the development of educators who are able to implement professional standards, advocate for children and youth with exceptionalities and their families, and adhere to the following beliefs and values:
- Children and youth with exceptionalities are part of a larger community of diverse learners;
- Children and youth with exceptionalities can learn when provided with effective and/or differentiated instruction, the adaptation of the learning environment, and culturally responsive pedagogy and curriculum;
- Children and youth with exceptionalities excel when they are held to high standards and expectations;
- The larger mission of education is best served when special educators collaborate with families, general educators, and related services professionals.
- Children and youth with exceptionalities develop lifelong attitudes and behaviors when responsibility, self-determination, and ownership of their education are expected.