Hands-on Experience, Professional Training
UNC puts backstage talent front and center. Our Theatre Arts degree with Design and Technology emphasis provides you with professional-caliber training in sets, sound, lighting, costumes, and other technical aspects of theatre production. You’ll start working on shows in your first semester, getting four full years of hands-on training from some of the best in the business.
Nationally recognized for excellence, UNC’s theatre program attracts exceptional faculty and high-profile guest instructors from the top of the industry, including Broadway. You’ll work in design and production studios that feature industry-standard technology, while getting lots of one-on-one attention and guidance from faculty. Our practical, hands-on approach provides you with skills and experience that help you stand out in the job market. Graduates of our design and technology bachelor’s program have gone on to successful theatre careers throughout the world. You can, too.
B.A. in Theatre Arts: Design and Technology
The Design and Technology emphasis is designed for students who seek professional preparation for careers in technical theatre, including set design, costume design, lighting, sound, and props. You’ll get introduced to all areas of technical theatre, and specialize as you move through the program. You’ll work with the most up-to-date theatre technology, while developing traditional skills such as sketching and drafting.
Graduates from UNC’s Theatre Design and Technology program have an outstanding track record of career success. Our alumni have worked all over the globe, landing jobs with Broadway production companies, Las Vegas casinos, Cirque de Soleil, national touring shows, cruise lines and other high-profile employers. You’ll enter the job market with technical excellence, hands-on experience and a professional portfolio that help you stand out.
Consider UNC's B.A. in Design and Technology if you want to:
- Begin working on theatre crews as a freshman
- Get first-hand experience in all aspects of technical theatre
- Learn from and work with industry pros
- Acquire first-rate preparation for a career in technical theatre
- Industry-standard theatre technology
- State-of-the-art techniques for set design, costume design, lighting, sound and props
- Drafting, sketching, and digital imagery
- Extensive, hands-on production experience
- Playscript Analysis
- Orientation to Design
- Lighting Technology
- Stage Management for Theatre
- Scenic Technology
- Costume Design
UNC stages more than 30 productions a year, allowing you to gain a large quantity and variety of first-hand experience. We also host a nationally renowned summer stock company, Little Theatre of the Rockies, that attracts first-rate performers from New York and other talent centers. You can spend a semester abroad, attend national and international conferences, or participate in overseas theatre tours. There’s almost no limit to the learning opportunities in UNC’s technical theatre program.
Where can your degree take you?
- Employment on a Broadway technical theatre crew
- Jobs with national touring companies, Las Vegas show venues, cruise ship lines, and other production companies
- Work with regional and local theatre companies
- Graduate studies in technical theatre or a related discipline