University of Northern Colorado
Campus Box 98
Greeley, CO 80639
Post doctoral fellow (bionanophotonics) – Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge,
Ph.D. (Analytical Chemistry) – University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
B.S. (Chemistry) – Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian (China)
Research/Areas of Interest
My research interest is in the area of nanobiophotonics which integrates advances
in nanotechnology and different optical spectroscopic techniques for biomedical and
bioanalytical applications. A common theme of my research is to explore the surface
plasmonic properties of metallic nanoparticles for designing innovative sensing, imaging
and therapeutic agents. Surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) and fluorescence
will be the primary optical spectroscopic techniques that will be employed. Potential
projects involves synthesis, characterization and surface modification of metallic
nanoparticles as a photothermal therapeutic agent and as SERS substrate.
- K. Chen, I. Soto, W. T. Monroe, J. S. Alexander, “Photothermolysis of lymphatic endothelial
cells by gold nanoshell-mediated hyperthermia”, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2014, 14(7), 5347.
- G. Grant, J. Li, Y. Zhang, S. Li, C. Wilson, K. Chen, T. Vo-Dinh, Q. Liu, "Compact point-detection fluorescence spectroscopy system for
quantifying intrinsic fluorescence redox ratio in brain cancer diagnostics", Journal of Biomedical Optics, 2011, 16(3), 037004.
- K. Chen, T. Vo-Dinh, "Single Molecule Detection and Activity Monitoring at the Nanoscale Level in Fixed
and Living Cells by Optical Spectroscopy", Book Chapter, in: Nanotechnology in Biology and Medicine - Methods, Devices, and Applications, Vo-Dinh T. (ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. 16-1 (2007).
- K. Chen, M. Leona,T. Vo-Dinh, "Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering for Identification of Organic
Pigments and Dyes in Works of Art and Cultural Heritage Material", Sensor Review, 2007, 27, 109.
- Q. Liu, K. Chen, M. E. Martin, A. Wintenberg, R. Lenarduzzi, M. Panjehpour, B. F. Overholt, and T.
Vo-Dinh "Development of a synchronous fluorescence imaging system and data analysis
methods", Optics Express, 2007, 15, 12583.
- K. Chen, M. Leona,K-C. Vo-Dinh, F. Yan, M. B. Wabuyele, T. Vo-Dinh, "Application of surface-enhanced
Raman scattering (SERS) for the identification of anthraquinone dyes used in works
of art", Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, 2006, 37, 520.
- M. E. Martin, M. B. Wabuyele, K. Chen, P. M. Kasili, M. Panjehpour, M. Phan, B. Overholt, G. Cunningham, D. Wilson, R.
C. DeNovo, and T. Vo-Dinh, "Development of an Advanced Hyperspectral Imaging (HSI)System
with Applications for Cancer Detection", Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2006, 34, 106.