The University of Northern Colorado marked the beginning of its 125th year a variety of events that welcomed new students and faculty to the community starting last week. Following move-in day activities Thursday, the university held its annual Convocation Friday in Cranford Park.
Cranford Park, located on 10th Avenue north of Gunter Hall, is where the university's founding in 1889 was originally celebrated.
In much the same way that commencement celebrates the end of a student's time at the university, convocation recognizes the beginning. Students will be greeted by campus and community figures including UNC President Kay Norton, her husband and mayor of Greeley, Tom Norton, and Provost Robyn Wacker.
After an introductory course in UNC history, pride and traditions, students were led back to Turner Green on the west side of campus for the Taste of UNC and Bear Fest celebrations, featuring music, games, prizes and finger foods provided by Dining Services.
All of Friday's events were components of Bear Welcome 2014, which spans the first two weeks of classes and provides students with safe and exciting activities to ease the transition to college life.
Fall classes begin Aug. 25.
Key First-Week Dates and Events
- 7-10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23 - Northern at Night (Doubenmier Field)
- 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23 - UNC Volleyball vs. UNC Alumni (Butler-Hancock Sports Pavilion)
- 9:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 26 - Student Employment Fall Job Fair (University Center)
- 7-9 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 26 - Jazz Welcome Concert (Frasier Hall)
- 8-10 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 26 - Bear Welcome: Comedy Club (University Center)
- 4-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 27 - Fraternity & Sorority Life Welcome BBQ (Turner Green)
- 4-6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 29 - Cesar Chavez Cultural Center Welcome Back BBQ (CCCC/Patton House)
- Full schedule at Bear Welcome 2014
Figures: Taste of UNC
For an expected crowd of 2,700, Dining Services prepared:
- 500 ears of corn
- 300 pounds of beef brisket
- 150 pounds of chicken
- 800 chocolate-covered brownies
- 500 chocolote-covered bananas
- 1,700 16-ounce glasses of lemonade
- 1,200 assorted sodas
- 1,474 French fry cones