Special Education: Deaf and Hard of Hearing, MA
The Master of Arts in Special Education with a Deaf/Hard of Hearing emphasis prepares professionals as a special education specialist: deaf/hard of hearing to work with children and youth with hearing losses ages birth-21 and their families in order to help them develop their full potential.The Special Education Deaf/Hard of Hearing Specialist is required to pass either the Praxis or PLACE elementary education content exam prior to entry into the preparation program, and the Deaf Education Praxis or PLACE exam prior to enrolling in practicum. The program consists of the required courses and practicum requirements agreed upon by the student and advisor.
Students entering the Master of Arts in Special Education: Deaf/Hard of Hearing program without a current teacher licensure are required to complete additional Admission Deadlines & Requirements and course requirements listed under Professional Teacher Education. Students are encouraged to contact a program advisor to determine additional requirements. Also, individuals who are not proficient in sign can enroll in the program and concurrently take sign courses. The Special Education Deaf/Hard of Hearing Specialist is required to pass a sign proficiency examination prior to student teaching.
- Rolling Admission
Applicants must apply to the University of Northern Colorado Graduate School before the program area reviews the applicant’s request for admission. Failure to submit all required materials will delay the evaluation and screening of your application.
- Statement of Academic and Professional Goals (You will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 semester hours of academic work.
- Pass the Elementary Content PLACE or Praxis II, or have an approved elementary teaching license. (You will upload this after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- International Students: $60 non-refundable application fee
- Completed Online Application
- Two Letters of Recommendation (You will start this process after you have completed and submitted the online application.)
- One official copy of transcripts from all accredited college or university attended since completing high school. UNC Alumni need not submit transcripts