Information For Faculty
Writing Center tutors are experts in writing and can help with all writing concerns, regardless of discipline. However, tutors are not experts in all disciplines; questions regarding content will be referred back to the client’s instructor.
Tutoring Session Overview
Writing Center tutors, who are trained faculty, graduate, and undergraduate students, offer both face-to-face and online tutoring sessions. These sessions are collaborative in nature and are non-evaluative. Tutors do not find and correct mistakes, nor do they complete the writing for the client. Writing Center clients are encouraged to take notes when possible and to ask questions for clarification. The client has the final say in how he or she will revise the writing.
Supporting Student Writers
There are many ways that faculty, staff, and tutors can work together to support student writers and to help them get the most out of their visit.
- Invite a Writing Center representative to visit your class and give a brief (5-10 minute) presentation about the Writing Center’s mission, services, and policies. To schedule a presentation, email the director. In the email, please include the class name, class meeting day and time, classroom number, and number of students in the class. Please indicate the preferred date and time for the presentation.
- Include contact information about the Writing Center in your syllabus and/or your assignment guidelines. Here is a sample you can copy and paste for inclusion:
feedback Students can receive helpful feedback on their writing by visiting the UNC Writing Center, located in Ross hall, room 1230. The Center is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Tutors are available on an appointment-only basis for both online and in-person sessions. To schedule an appointment, call the Writing Center at 970-351-2056 or schedule an appointment here.
- Discuss your own writing process and emphasize that all writers, regardless of expertise, can benefit from collaborative, knowledgeable feedback; the Writing Center is a place for all writers!
- Discuss the writing process as a process, with necessary time allotted for idea development and revision. This is also a good time to remind students to make an appointment at least four days before the writing is due. Many students show up on the due date or the day before an assignment is due and are upset when they realize they have little time for revision.
- For more ideas on helping students get the most from their tutoring session, visit the Writing Center Tips page.
Extra Credit for Using the Writing Center
Many instructors give students extra credit for using the Writing Center, and the
tutor who worked with the student can provide a verification of visit form at the
end of the appointment. It is the student’s responsibility to ask for a verification
of visit form to give to their teachers, and only the tutor who met with the student
can provide the form.
If you choose to offer extra credit, please remind students that an appointment is necessary and should be made well before the assignment due date.
Thank you for helping student writers and supporting the UNC Writing Center!