To help spread the word about the quality education at UNC and its contributions to the community, state and nation, the Office of University News and Public Relations:
- Generates news releases and story ideas for local, state and national media
- Responds to media and public requests for information and serves as the university's spokespersons
- Manages an experts list of university community members who can share their areas of expertise for media coverage
- Produces weekly "Feature Story" for the UNC home page
- Edits and manages Northern Vision magazine that delivered to 93,000 alumni and friends
- Compiles and updates UNC Facts & Figures
- Edits UNC Today, a daily campus newsletter for employees, and Bear Crossing, the university's public newsletter
- Manages the UNC calendar of events
Nate Haas, Director of University News & Public Relations
Nate's a former reporter and editor who's had the privilege of serving on the staffs of newspapers and magazines throughout Colorado. He holds a bachelor's degree in Journalism from the University of Colorado at Boulder and a master's degree in Sport & Exercise Science from UNC. At UNC, where he's served since 2004, he oversees University News & Public Relations and is the university's spokesperson. He also is editor of Northern Vision alumni magazine.
Gary Dutmers, Senior News Writer/Editor
Gary's 25-plus years as a professional communicator include experiences as a newspaper and magazine writer and editor, a freelance writer and marketing consultant, an account manager with a public relations agency, and a manager of internal communications and media relations for one of the country's largest ski resorts. He also has 12 years of experience as a community college administrator. He's been a writer and editor at UNC since December 2005.