Dr. Nicholas Syrett- winner of College Scholar Award 2013
Dr. Nicholas Syrett from the Department of History is this year’s winner of the College Scholar Award, given annually to a faculty member who exemplifies excellence in research and scholarship, nominated and selected by his or her peers. Nick is the author of a book, The Company He Keeps: A History of White Fraternities, published in 2009, and recently reissued in paperback. This book has drawn national attention from academics, journalists, and a variety of civic organizations. Nick is currently working on another book length project that looks at the history of child marriage in the United States. Congratulations to Dr. Syrett for this honor.1
Professor Lisa Zimmerman - winner of the Diversity in the Classroom Award
The Diversity in the Classroom Award is sponsored by the college’s Diversity Advisory Board, and begins with nominations from students. Lisa Zimmerman, of the Department of English, was cited for her work in her class entitled “Poetry and Literature of the Environment”. From the student’s nomination: “In every class I have had with this professor, she has taught varying religious affiliations, every sexual identity, and never singled out any philosophies or practices as less valuable than any other. In fact, she promoted self-thought and mental expansion.” Congratulations to Professor Zimmerman for this honor.2
- Acting Dean Michelle Behr will visit Japan as part of a Colorado delegation. The visit is part of an effort to showcase educational opportuniites for Japanese students through StudyColorado organizations, of which UNC is a member. Full Story
Click here to view photos from World Language Day 2013. During this annual event, high school students participate in and observe cultural activities, competitions, and workshops.
- Congratulations to George H. Junne, Jr., Chair and Professor of Africana Studies, and recipient of the Harrell L. Strimple Award of the Paleontological Society. Full Story
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences received a plaque in recognition of its sustained support of the Greeley Holocaust Memorial Observances. Full Story
- Congratulations to Sociology Graduate student Mark Shuey on receiving a Graduate Dean's award recognizing superior academic achievement and outstanding research in graduate studies. Mark was honored with Citation for Excellence and Citation for Outstanding Thesis; "Re-framing the Feminine Apologetic: An Analysis of Division I Female Athletes".
- Congratulations to History major Owen Volzke on receiving a 2013 Gilder Lehrman History Scholar Award. Only 15 of these prestigious awards recognizing academic excellence in the study of American history are awarded each year. Full Story
- Congratulations to Priscilla Falcón, professor of Hispanic Studies, on receiving the University of Northern Colorado Academic Excellence Award for Teaching Excellence in Graduate Education.
- Congratulations to Kyle Anne Nelson, assistant professor of Sociology, on receiving the 2013 Social Science Engaged Research Award. Full Story
- Click here to view photos from the 2013 HSS Honors Convocation. During this annual event, faculty members recognize students who have shown exemplary achievement in class, including personal growth and improvement.
- The English Education Program and University Libraries will revive a tradition, the Read-In. On the first Tuesday of each month, from 11:00am-1:00 pm, there will be public readings of texts that celebrate or commemorate a theme relevant to that month. Read-In Information