Winter Break Letter - 2012
During the SEMESTER BREAK residence halls are CLOSED with the exception of Lawrenson and Harrison Halls. The following information details requirements and procedures that you must follow in order to properly depart and avoid potential charges.
- The residence halls will close for the winter break on Saturday, December 15th, at 10:00 a.m. Students are expected to leave the residence halls within 24 hours of their last exam. Students whose last exam is on Friday, December 14th, will be expected to depart from the halls no later than Saturday, December 15th, at 10:00 a.m. No one is permitted to stay in the residence hall beyond 10:00 a.m. without permission of the Hall Director. Residents requesting to stay past this time, due to graduation must inform their Hall Director by Monday, December 3, 2012. Residents who do not live in Harrison or Lawrenson hall and wish to stay on campus during the winter break period, can stay on campus for an additional charge. Housing for students wishing to stay over winter break, will be provided in either Harrison or Lawrenson. Click here to fill out a housing reservation for winter break.
- The housing contract is an academic year (August-May) commitment. Students who are graduating, transferring to another school, or withdrawing from UNC, must properly check out of the residence hall with their Resident Assistant.
- If you are moving out of the residence hall, you must thoroughly clean the portion of the room which you occupied. Additionally, the room must be inspected by your Resident Assistant, the Room Inventory form must be completed, and your key must be returned to your Resident Assistant before the check-out will be complete. An “Improper Check-Out” charge of $35.00 will be assessed to residents that fail to follow these instructions.
- Before your departure for the Winter Break, please make sure you empty your trash, remove all holiday decorations, disconnect all electrical appliances (except refrigerators), secure and remove valuables, turn off all lights, close and lock windows and your door, close drapes, pull furniture or any obstructions away from heater and vents (Turner and Lawrenson Hall Students only). Please make sure the shared space is appropriately cleaned and arranged. If your room has a thermostat, set it at the lowest temperature setting and on the lowest fan speed – do not turn your thermostat off. Please follow the checklist given to you by your RA.
- If you are academically suspended or dismissed from the University due to conduct, or during the break you decide not to return to UNC, please contact the Department of Housing & Residential Education at (970) 351-2721 to arrange for a checkout appointment. This must be done no later than Friday, December 28, 2012. (Please note the University will be closed December 24th, 25th, 26th, and 31st).
- All residence halls will open for the spring semester on Friday, January 11, 2013 at 8:00 a.m.
Study Break snacks are offered for meal plan holders from 9:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. beginning Monday, December 10th through Thursday, December 13, 2012, in both the Holmes and Tobey-Kendel Dining Halls. The last meal for students on a meal plan will be lunch on Friday, December 14th. The first meal for meal plan holders for spring semester will be brunch on Saturday, January 12, 2013.
Mail will not be forwarded over the semester break. Mail will be held and distributed beginning Friday, January 11, 2013.
Room Changes within BUILDINGS or to another facility:
All residents requesting a room change within their current building, or to another building, must see their Hall Director no later than Friday, December 7, 2012. Approved room moves must be completed by 7:00 p.m., on December 14, 2012.
Residents without a Roommate:
If you have an empty space in your room, the space must be clean and free of your personal belongings so that a new resident can move into the space in January. Please contain all of your belongings to one side of the room and make sure an empty bed, dresser, desk, and wardrobe/closet space are available for an incoming student. The vanity countertops and empty drawers need to be cleaned. If you fail to make appropriate space in your room, the hall staff will enter your room to rearrange your belongings. If this is necessary, a charge will be assessed for their time. If there are too many items to move, you will be charged for a paid single for the spring semester.
23 Hour Quiet Hours:
Please note: 23 hour quiet hours are in effect beginning at 11:00 p.m., on Friday, December 7th, and remain in effect until 5:00 p.m., on Friday, December 14th. No warnings will be given and violations will result in disciplinary action. Please remember that others may be studying for finals, so give them your support.
If you have any questions about the information contained in this letter, contact your Resident Assistant, Hall Director, the Department of Housing & Residential Education, or stop by to see me.
Have a Relaxing Break,
Associate Director of Housing & Residential Education