How to Apply for Housing
Before you Start...
The date your contract and deposit are received is the “priority date” for your assignment. The UNC Housing & Residential Education Office will assign you into a space for the academic year. Hall and room placements are based on your “priority date” and space availability.
error Students must pay the $200 Admissions Enrollment Confirmation Deposit before they can apply for housing. There is a 24-hour business day delay between the time the Enrollment Confirmation Deposit is paid and you are able to apply for housing.
Decisions are made based on the following preference hierarchy, so decide what is most important to you, ONLY select that preference followed by your subsequent priorities on your application. For example, if your top priority is being in the Outdoor Pursuits RLC, you should not list a roommate (but you can add a housing tier as your backup option).
- All assignments are based on availability.
- Students applying for Academic Year 2018-2019 will be able to view their room assignment on July 15, 2018.
- Log into the Housing & Dining Contract to view your room assignment.
Online Application Instructions
2. Review the prices for the various residence halls with the different meal plan options. Housing costs are based on tier pricing. Tier 1 is the lowest and Tier 6 is the highest.
3. Decide if you want to be in a Residential Learning Community. You need to be declared with specific majors to be eligible for the community. Special interest living communities do not need a specific major - just an interest in the theme of the living community. The residential learning communities are located in specific residence halls and may also be on specific floors.
4. After you login, read the short introduction and click Enter to start the contract process. Before
you can continue, you will need to agree to the Housing Contract Terms and Conditions.
If you are under age 18 at the time you agree to the terms and conditions, it is inferred
by submitting your contract that your parents are also in agreement. Review your
student information for accuracy. If corrections are necessary, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 970-351-2231.
Note: Address corrections can be made by logging into your URSA account.
5. Housing & Dining Services recognizes that some students may have medical, physical, and/or psychological needs that could be greatly impacted by their housing assignment, needs that may need some consideration in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Fair Housing Act. Students should contact the University’s Disability Support Services office if you have a disability or medical condition that requires specific housing ADA accommodations. You are REQUIRED to go to the University’s Disability Support Services website. You MUST complete the questionnaire and submit documentation to request an accommodation in housing. DSS will assist you to determine the required accommodations. If you have any questions on this process please call the DSS office at (970) 351-2289.
As of October 1, 2017, Housing & Residential Education states students with disabilities approved for single rooms, or other requested accommodations required by Disability Support Services, as housing accommodations are not charged a supplemental single-room premium or room buyout charge solely because of the need for the accommodation.
6. Provide the required $100 deposit by selecting either Pay Later or Pay by Credit Card. If you choose to pay later, your contract will be incomplete until you either pay the deposit or submit a request for a waiver through the Admissions Office. If you pay the deposit, a payment confirmation e-mail will be sent to your UNC e-mail address once your contract is received in our department. If you do not receive a payment confirmation e-mail, please contact us to make sure your payment was received.
7. You can enter a roommate request on the housing contract. In the roommate preference field, enter the correct spelling for their first name, last name and Bear number. If you do not have a roommate preference, the Assignments Coordinator will match you with another student by using the roommate matching criteria on the housing contract.
8. Any room changes made after the initial room assignment have been completed, will be done on a first-come, first-serve basis as spaces become available. If you are not able to move by the time the residence halls open in August, please speak to your Hall Director for room moves.
9. For students that want to return to the residence halls for the following academic year, you will log into the Housing and Dining Contract during the Call Dibs/Claim Your Space campaign in early February.
10. Requests are honored on a priority date availability basis. If you have questions regarding on-campus housing, please contact us at 970-351-2721.