CUMBRES Residential Learning Community
The Cumbres Community is a living and learning program for students who are planning to teach in the K-12 schools and are working toward an English as a Second Language (ESL) or Bilingual/Bicultural endorsement. As a member of Cumbres, you will take 2-3 classes with the other Cumbres students, which makes it easy to form study groups. Additionally, you will attend cultural events designed to help you gain cultural competence, participate in a retreat with an outdoor ropes course element, and have tutoring provided by the Center for Human Enrichment (CHE) designed to support your academic success. Students in Cumbres always mention to us that diversity, academic support, and close-knit relationships are their favorite features of this community.
The Cumbres Community is designed for first-year students accepted into the Cumbres program. Cumbres students take on leadership roles, receive financial assistance each semester, and work with a mentor at UNC. The Cumbres Community will include a Resident Assistant in the Cumbres Program, and up to two upper-class Cumbres students will serve as mentors in the communities. Opportunities for students living in this community will include:
- Volunteer at local schools
- Participation in retreats, cultural events, and other fun outings
- Receive tutoring designed specifically for Cumbres students
- Cohort classes
- Discussions with practicing teachers about bilingual education and ESL
- Informally get to know some of the faculty within their majors
- Study with other students in their classes
- Mentor incoming first year students
- Belonging to a community of friends and classmates
Students in this community have the opportunity to participate in workshops, tutoring, and study tables organized through the Center for Human Enrichment designed to support academic success. Students interested in this community must apply and be accepted into the Cumbres Program. Please contact Linda Carbajal, Cumbres Program Director, at (970) 351-2410 for more information about how to join!