Striving to take care of our Environment
Here in Dining Services, we strive to take better care of our Environment!!
- Both Gourmet To Go locations currently use Oxo-Biodegradable™ Bags.
- "By offering this bag UNC Dining Services is helping to lessen the impact of waste for a healthier environment.
- The plastic used in this bag will convert to water, carbon dioxide and biomass in the presence of soil, moisture and oxygen. Like a fallen leaf, it will disappear over time."
- The University Center Food Court is in the process of switching from Styrofoam to biodegradable products.
- Dining Services participates in UNC's recycling program:
- cardboard from the dining rooms
- paper from the offices
- lights are turned off between meals to conserve energy
- We have a company who picks up our used fryer oils and recycles it. Currently it's used with feed for livestock, but very soon it will be recycled for biodiesel fuels!
- Not only do "We Feed The Bears!" but we also feed the BATS! Leftover and over-ripe fruits from Holmes Dining Hall are donated to the research bats in Ross Hall.
- The napkins in Starbucks® and Taco Bell Express™ are made from recycled products.
Back to main Enviromental Concerns page.