Tips for using the Writing Center
Get the most out of your visit with us by reviewing these tips before your Writing Center session.
Before Your Session
Think About Your Goals
- Reflect on your current writing process and at what stages you tend to need the most help.
- Consider your current knowledge of the writing project and what you are still uncertain about.
- Review any feedback you have received on past writing and what changes you would like to make.
- Review your assignment deadlines and (if possible) schedule your session at least one week before the due dates. Please be aware that midterm week and the last week of classes fill quickly. We encourage clients to be proactive and book appointments in advance when possible.
- Create a list of specific areas you want to address with your writing.
- Plan on a half-hour session for papers of four (4) pages or less, and an hour for longer writing projects, depending on the areas in question.
- Bring any assignment guidelines or samples the instructor has provided.
- Bring any texts relevant to the writing project.
During Your Session
Work Together With Your Consultant
- Be prepared to make changes on your writing during your session.
- Be prepared to take notes on what you discuss with the consultant.
- Ask questions if you don't understand a consultant's comments or suggestions.
- Understand that there may not be time to get through an entire paper.
- Understand that more than one session may be necessary to see improvement in your writing.
- If you need proof of your visit, ask the consultant to send an email to your instructor about your session. You must know your professor's name and email for this request.
After Your Session
Allow Time For Revision
- Allow time between periods of writing to think about the writing and the feedback you have received.
- Revise the larger issues first--content, thesis, organization, and then the sentence-level issues.
- Review your assignment guidelines again.
Don't hesitate to call the Writing Center for further help at (970) 351-2056.