Probation Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) Advisor FAQ
The probation/suspension policies have not changed this semester. Students will still be held to the same probation/suspension policies as outlined in the catalog language below. However, it is critical to read through the FAQ Guide to learn more about how the temporary satisfactory/ unsatisfactory (S/U) grading option will interact with the probation/suspension policies. While the probation/suspension policies have not changed, the new temporary S/U grading option does have benefits for students on academic probation.
Probation/Suspension policies per UNC’s catalog:
Your academic standing is determined by the cumulative grade point average. In order to graduate, you must earn a minimum of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale at the University of Northern Colorado.
- You are placed on academic probation, up to the next 24 credit hours, at UNC if your cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below a 2.0. When the cumulative GPA is raised to 2.0 or higher within the 24 probation credit window, you will return to good academic standing.
- Grades that count toward the 24 probation credit hours include all letter grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, as well as all Incompletes that have been finished. Grades not counted towards the 24 probation credit hours are I, NC, NR, NG, S, U, W, UW, and CR.
- If you are on academic probation and do not raise your cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher at the conclusion of the 24 probation credit hours at UNC, you will be suspended.
- While on probation, if your cumulative GPA falls below a 1.0, you will be automatically suspended.
- Please note that Academic Standing Policy is different from the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. Even though your academic status allows you to continue enrollment at UNC, this does not guarantee continuation of Financial Aid assistance.
Students in Unique Circumstances: Current students on Fresh Start or enrolled with an approved suspension appeal or readmission appeal will need to contact their advisor for help with navigating their unique status.
For updates to this document contact firstname.lastname@example.org.