Parent Orientation Sample Schedule – January Orientation
Note: Orientation in January has sessions where both First-Year and Transfer & Nontraditional students sessions have some overlap. First-Year students have a two-day program and Transfer & Nontraditional students have a one-day program.
This is a tentative schedule and subject to change. The final schedule with details will be given to participants at check-in.
Two-day (First-Year Student) program:
There are two check-in times:
9 – 11:30 a.m. at the University Center – For students living on-campus. They will check-in with orientation first and then go to move into their residence hall.
11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the University Center – For students living off-campus.
Note: Pre-registered parents and support people will check in for Parent Orientation with you.
Day 1 | 7:45 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- University Welcome, Lunch and Family Forum, Supporting the Academic Transition, Community of Bears introduction, Bear Essentials, and Living & Dining at UNC
- Supporting Student Involvement
- Welcome to the Sleuth/Q&A
Note: Your student will have other sessions happening after dinner.
Day 2 | 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Day Two Welcome, Supporting Your Student Bear Style, Support and Safety Snapshot, Partnering with Parents for Support and Safety, Lunch and University Fair, and Bear Central (Financial Aid, Registrar, and Student Accounts) breakout
- Optional campus tour
Note: Your student's end time may vary because it will depend on the length of time it takes them to register for classes.
Tip: If you need to make any campus appointments, please schedule after 4 p.m. on Day Two of your session.
One-day (Transfer & Nontraditional Student) program:
11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Check-in is at the University Center on the 2nd floor. You will check in with your student if you have made your reservation ahead of time.
- Pick up check-in materials (schedule, handouts, name tag, meal tickets, advising materials, etc).
12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Lunch & University Welcome
- University Fair – An opportunity to meet with campus departments that may be important to your student's holistic UNC experience
- Welcome to the Sleuth (expectations and how life may look for the student) & letter to your bear
- Optional campus tour
Note: Parents and support people will be able to hear information about UNC's Liberal Arts Core, the online catalog, and get any lingering questions answered while you are being advised.
- There will be multiple opportunities for your student to get their picture taken for the UNC ID at the UNC card office.
- All students and registered parents and support people will receive a lunch ticket.
- If you need to make any campus appointments for you and your student, please schedule after 4 p.m.