First-Year Students Entering Summer or Fall
Welcome new incoming students! We are excited to have you join the UNC Bear community!
The two-day in-person Orientation is required for all first-year college students. You will receive an e-mail to your @bears.unco.edu account when you are able to sign up for Orientation. Once logged into the orientation system, you will complete Online Pre-Orientation prior to selecting an in-person Orientation date.
Orientation date availability is based on the student’s major and to which college it belongs. See below for more details.
Colleges and their Abbreviations:
- Education and Behavioral Sciences = EBS
- Humanities and Social Sciences = HSS
- Monfort College of Business = MCB
- Natural and Health Sciences = NHS
- Performing and Visual Arts = PVA
- University College = UC
Reservations close and lock 4 business days (Monday – Friday) out prior to a session at which point changes cannot be made to a reservation.
First-Year Orientation Dates 2019:
Note: This is just a list of all session dates. Availability for sessions is not guaranteed. To view the current and most accurate sessions available, please log in to the orientation system.
Session availability is based on the colleges that your major is housed in and size limitations.
*Pre-nursing majors may sign up for any session.
Course choices may be limited. You will have a course schedule you will need but times and courses may not be your first choice.
- If you are attending this last orientation session of the summer, you will be able to move-in to your permanent fall housing assignment as of Sunday, August 18, 2019. So that housing is prepared for your arrival, each student will need to fill out the Early Arrival Sign Up in order to be able to move in early. Students who do not fill out this link will not be approved to move in early. If your travel plans dictate dates outside of the aforementioned dates, please contact Housing and Residential Education (970-351-2721) for daily rates and availability.
Overnight accommodations for students attending in August are NOT available for orientation because students will have begun/already have moved in to their permanent room assignment in the residence halls. If you are a student living on-campus and moved in early, you will stay in your housing assignment. If you are a student living off-campus, you will need to travel home and then come back the next morning for the start of day 2.
I'm First Workshop
New Student Orientation offers a workshop which precedes the start of First-Year Orientation. We highly encourage all students who identify as a first-generation college student to attend I'm First, though any student can attend.
Note: A First-generation college student means being the first in your family to earn a bachelor's degree.
LaUNCh is an optional four-day experience offering you the opportunity to develop deeper relationships with other new students, student leaders, and staff or faculty. The combination of service projects and immersive activities creates an intimate environment that will enrich your student experience before the first semester. you must complete your orientation requirements before participating in LaUNCh.
Note: This is a tentative schedule and subject to change. The final schedule with details will be given to participants at check-in.
There are two check-in times:
7:30 – 8:00 a.m. at Wiebking Hall (University Center if attending in August) - For students and family members participating in the I'm First Workshop.
9:00 – 10:15 a.m. at Wiebking Hall (University Center if attending in August) - For students and family members not participating in the I'm First Workshop.
Note: Pre-registered parents and support people will check in for Parent Orientation with you.
Tip: Wiebking Hall and the University Center is located on 20th Street between 10th and 11th Avenue.
Day 1 | 7:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Will include, but not limited to: I'm First Workshop, University Welcome, Meeting(s) with your group led by your Orientation Leader(s), Lunch, Faculty Success Tips, Breakout Sessions, Our Den, BEAR session, Dinner, Meeting(s) with your group, Evening activities at the Rec Center.
Day 2 | 7 a.m. – When advising and registration is completed
Typically students finish registering for classes between 4 – 5 p.m., though we understand it will depend on each individual.
Will include, but not limited to: Breakfast, Check out from Wiebking, Day Two Welcome with Orientation Leader, Breakout Sessions, Staying Safe and Supported, Meeting(s) with your group, Lunch and University Fair, Online Resources, Advising and Registration (the end time is dependent on individual registration).
Optional Campus Tour.
- Optional Meningitis Vaccine Shot - The UNC Student Health Center will have a limited amount of meningitis vaccine shots available at the end of First-Year Orientation. It will be a service offered on a first-come, first-serve basis until the supply runs out.
Tip: If you need to make any campus appointments, please schedule after 4 p.m. on Day Two of your session.
Parking during your Orientation is available in Q Lot, and is free to you during your Orientation. Q Lot is located off the corner of 9th Avenue and 20th Street. Orientation Leaders will be present to help direct you to check-in.
Your check-in location will be at Wiebking Hall, which is on 20th Street between 9th and 10th Avenue, a short distance from Q Lot.
There is no need to park anywhere else during Orientation, but if you wish to park somewhere else, you will need to buy a day pass from one of the Pay to Park daily parking dispensers.
UNC Q Lot Address: 1920 9th Avenue, Greeley, CO 80631