Jump to main content

COVID-19: News and Campus Updates

B.S. in Recreation, Tourism and Hospitality

The Recreation, Tourism and Hospitality major has been a pioneer in the design and development of professional recreation curricula at the undergraduate level since it was established in 1964.  You may earn a Bachelor of Science degree (non-teaching) in Recreation, Tourism and Hospitality, with concentrations in either Parks and Recreation or Tourism and Hospitality, that will prepare you to assume entry-level leadership roles in municipal, youth, commercial, non-profit, outdoor, tourism, and hospitality settings.

The Recreation, Tourism and Hospitality program provides advising, coursework, professional experiences and career assistance, as well as opportunities for individualized study, research, and supervised community service to students. The program also coordinates with other units in the College of Natural and Health Sciences to satisfy the respective degree requirements.


Students complete both a 450 clock hour internship in their senior year. These are completed at approved agency sites with qualified professionals. Internships and practica are planned and arranged the semester prior to completion. 

Students have completed internships worldwide and in a variety of settings. A number of students have completed their internships in very prestigious agencies from the Denver Zoo to military bases in Italy to resorts in Florida and outdoor adventure programs across the United States and Canada.


The internship is viewed as the capstone class in a student’s professional preparation. Thus it is important to carefully select an agency that will meet a student’s professional goals and the professional guidelines expected by national credentialing organizations. The Recreation, Tourism and Hospitality Program maintains an ever expanding file of potential sites for student consideration. In addition to requiring 450 clock hours, other prerequisites include a 2.5 GPA in the major, current CPR and First Aid certification, and completion of all major courses. Liability insurance is also required by some agencies, as is Hepatitis B vaccine cycle and background checks.

RTH 492 Forms

Professional Associations and Organizations