Alena Clark, PhD, MPH, RDN, CLC
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
College of Natural and Health Sciences
- PhD, Human Nutrition, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- MPH, Public Health Nutrition, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- BA, Food/Nutrition and Dietetics, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
Professional Certification, Licensure and Membership:
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Certified Lactation Counselor
- 2018-present, Professor, Nutrition & Dietetics, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley,
- 2014-2018, Program Coordinator, Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Northern Colorado,
- 2013-2018, Associate Professor, Nutrition & Dietetics, University of Northern Colorado,
- 2007-2013, Assistant Professor, Nutrition & Dietetics, University of Northern Colorado,
- 2007-present, Affiliate Faculty, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- 2007, Research Associate, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
Research/Areas of Interest
The InfaNET website was developed to provide nutrition education to child care providers and was revamped
in 2014 to provide child care providers with the most up-to-date and credible information
on infant feeding.
- Daugherty, J.B., Birnbaum, M., Clark, A. (2019). Having Enough: Students' understanding
of food insecurity and campus food pantry use. Journal of Poverty, 1-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10875549.2019.1652721. DOI: 10.1080/10875549.2019.1652721
- Clark, A., Baker, S., McGirr, K., Harris, M. (2018). Breastfeeding peer support program
increases breastfeeding initiation and duration rates among middle- to high-income
women. Breastfeeding Medicine, 13(2), 112-115.
- Schossow, K., Clark, A., Harris, M. (2018). Maternal supplementation of vitamin D
during lactation to support infant vitamin D needs: A systematic review. Journal of Pediatrics, 8, 255-272.
- Harris, M., Baker, S., Davalos, D., Clark, A., McGirr, K. (2016). Intake of total
omega-3 docosahexaenoic acid is associated with increased gestational length and improved
cognitive performance at 1 year of age. Journal of Nutrition Health and Food Engineering, 5(3), 642-651.
- Bezyak, J., Clark, A. (2016). Promoting physical and mental health among college students:
A needs assessment. Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education, 30(2), 188-192.
- Lessen, R., Kavanagh, K. (Clark, A., Content Advisor). Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding
and Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, March 2015.
- Clark, A., Bezyak, J., Testerman, N. Individuals with severe mentalillness have improved eating behaviors and cooking skills after attending a six-week nutrition education program. Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 2015, 1: 1-3.
- Cline, A., Clark, A. Students in dietetics and nutrition program prefer active learning modes to other
methods. International Journal of Nutrition & Dietetics, 2013, 1(1): 41-54.
- Clark, A., Dellaport, J. Development of a WIC single-user breast pump protocol. Breastfeeding Medicine, February 2011, 6(1): 37-40.
Honors and Awards
- 2018, Excellence in Service Award, College of Natural and Health Sciences, University
of Northern Colorado
- 2018, Outstanding Alumni Award, College of Health and Human Sciences, Colorado State
- 2016, Outstanding Dietitian of the Year, Northern Colorado Dietetic Association
- 2015, Outstanding Dietetic Educator, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2015, Outstanding Dietetic Educator, Colorado Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2013-2014, UNC Women's Resource Center Recognition for Lactation Stations
- 2013, Weld County Health Department Award for Lactation Stations
- 2012, UNC Women's Resource Center Faculty Volunteer of the Year
- 2011, UNC Disability Resource Center Recognized Professor
- 2010, Colorado Dietetic Association Outstanding Young Dietitian of the Year
- 2010, Northern Colorado Dietetic Association Outstanding Young Dietitian of the Year
- 2010, UNC Faculty Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year Award
- 2009-2015, UNC Mortar Board Favorite Professor