Joyce Weil, PhD
Department of Human Services
College of Natural and Health Sciences
- PhD, Sociology, Demography Concentration, Fordham University, New York, NY
- MPH, Population and Family Health, Maternal and Child Health, Columbia University,
New York, NY
- BS, Health Science, Community Health Education, Hunter College, The City University
of New York, New York, NY
- 2017-present, Associate Professor, Tenured, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley,
- 2016-present, Credentialed Professional Gerontologist (CPG), National Association
for Professional Gerontologists
- 2015-2017, Assistant Professor, Adjunct, Colorado School of Public Health, Denver,
- 2013-2017, Assistant Professor, Tenure-Track, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley,
- 2009-2013, Assistant Professor, Term/Contract Renewable, University of Northern Colorado,
Research/Areas of Interest
- Aging-in-place through the use of formal supports, such as senior centers and rural
- Meaning of Place
- Social demography of aging
- Social inequalities across the lifecourse
- Social support and aging
- Older women’s health and well-being
- Health disparities and aging
* denotes work with an undergraduate student
**denotes work with a masters/doctoral student
Juried Books and Chapters
- Weil, J. & Mendoza, N. ** (2019). Research Methods and Grandparenting, in the Handbook of grandparenting: The changing dynamics of family relationships (editors: Bert Hayslip & Christine Fruhauf). Springer.
- Weil, J. (2017). Research Design in Aging and Social Gerontology: Quantitative, Qualitative, and Mixed
Methods, New York: Routledge.
- Weil, Joyce. (2014). The New neighborhood senior center: Redefining social and service roles for the baby
boom generation. New Jersey: Rutgers University Press.
- Mitra, D. & Weil, J. (2014). Race and the lifecourse: Readings from the intersection of race, ethnicity and age. New York: Palgrave Macmillian.
- Mendoza, N.** & Weil. J. (2014). Pues a mi me da gusto, porque ando con mis nietos: Latina grandmothers raising grandchildren as an extension of the caregiving role over
the lifecourse. In D. Mitra & J. Weil. Race and the Lifecourse. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
Selected Juried Articles
- Weil, J. (2020). Pandemic place: Assessing domains of the person-place fit measure for older adults. Journal of Aging and Social Policy.
- Weil, J. (2019). Relationship to Place for Older Adults in a New York City Neighborhood Undergoing
Gentrification: A Discourse Analysis.City & Community (Journal of the American Sociological Association.)
- Weil, J. (2019) Developing the Person-Place Fit Measure for Older Adults: Broadening place domains (Measurement Article). The Gerontologist, gnz112.
- Karlin, N., Ben Salem, M., Weil, J. (2018). Aging in Tunisia. The Gerontologist, 58(5), 1004-1008.
- Weil., J. (2017). Relocating in Place: The Experience of Rural Older Persons Moving to Age in Place
in Town. Online Journal of Rural Research & Policy (Kansas State University), 12(1), 1-28.
- Weil, J., Mendoza, A.N** & McGavin, E.** (2017). Recruiting older adults as participants
in applied social research: applying and evaluating approaches from clinical studies, Educational Gerontology, 43,(12),662-673, doi: 10.1080/03601277.2017.1386406
- Weil, J. (2017). Relocating in Place: The Experience of Rural Older Persons Moving
to Age in Place in Town. Online Journal of Rural Research & Policy, 12 (1): 1- 28.https://dx.doi.org/10.4148/1936-0487.1076
- Weil, J., & Smith, E.** (2016). Revaluating aging in place: From traditional definitions
to the continuum of care. Working with Older People, 20(4), 223–230. doi:10.1108/wwop-08-2016-0020
- Weil, J. (2015). Applying research methods to a gerontological population: Matching
data collection to characteristics of older persons, Educational Gerontology, 41(10), 723-742.
- Weil, J., Hutchinson, S. & Traxler, K.** (2014). Exploring the relationships among
performance-based functional ability, self-rated disability, perceived instrumental
support, and depression: A structural equation model analysis. Research on Aging, 36 (6), 683-706.
Invited Book Reviews
- Weil, J. (2019). Review of Stephen Katz's Ageing in Everyday Life: Materialities
and Embodiments (vol. 2019, pp. 1-5). International Journal of Ageing and Later Life.
- Weil, Joyce. (2015). Latinos in an aging world: social, psychological, and economic
perspectives (by Ronald J. Angel and Jacqueline L. Angel). Sociological Inquiry 85 (1): 176-179.
- Weil, J. (2012). Aging our way: lessons for living from 85 and beyond (by Meika Loe).
Social Forces, 93 (2): 1-3.
- Weil, J., Eastern Sociologicall Society (ESS), "Critical Histories of Aging and Later
Life: Moving beyond the Self-Perpetuation of Political Economy of Aging." (February
- Snyder, A., Patterson, M., Weil, J., Sharp, T., Gilbert, E., Milbrath, G., McNeil,
J., Dunemn, K., American Public Health Association (APHA), "Academic Practice Partnerships
for an Interdisciplinary Rural Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program,"
Philadelphia, PA. (November 5, 2019).
- Weil, J., Gerontological Society of America's Annual Meeting, "Creation of a New Aging
in Place Measure." (November 14, 2018).
- Weil, J., Rocky Mountain Conference on Aging (RMPA), "Current Research on Aging and
the Lifecourse: Moving beyond the Silver Tsunami and Other Age-based Stereotypes
(Symposium organizer and Moderator)." (April 14, 2018).
- 2017 Karlin, N. & Weil, J. "Differences for Activity Level, Expressions on Health
and Happiness, and Overall Satisfaction with Life between Country-level comparison
Groups," Aging & Society: Seventh Interdisciplinary Conference, November 3-4, University
of California, Berkeley.
- 2017 Weil, J. & Artzer*, R. Developing an Aging in Place Measure. The American Sociological
Association 112th Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada, August 12-15.
- 2016 Weil, J., Snyder, A., Sharp, T., Milbrath**, G., McNeill, J., Gilbert, E. & Dunemn,
K., “Partners Creating an Interdisciplinary Rural Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse
Practitioner Program,” Gerontological Society of America’s 68th Annual Meeting, Invited
& selected as one of the formal Rural Aging Interest Group’s sponsored Symposia: Partnerships/Collaborations
that Serve Rural Elders, November 17, 2016.
- 2016 Weil, J. & Karlin, N. “A Conceptual Model of Service Utilization for Home and
Community-based Services in Rural Settings,” Aging in America Conference, Annual meeting
of the American Society on Aging, March 20-24 in Washington, DC.
- 2015 Weil, J. & Karlin , N. Rural Transitions in Care: Older Persons in the Community
and Those Relocating to Assisted Living, Gerontological Society of America’s 68th
Annual Meeting, November 18-22, Orlando, FL, November 20, 2015.