Alena Clark, PhD, MPH, RD
Associate Professor and Program Coordinator
School of Human Sciences
College of Natural and Health Sciences
- PhD, Human Nutrition, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- MPH, Public Health Nutrition, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- BA, Food/Nutrition and Dietetics, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
Professional Certification, Licensure and Membership:
- Registered Dietitian, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Certified Lactation Counselor
- 2014-present, Program Coordinator, Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Northern
Colorado, Greeley, CO
- 2013-present, Associate Professor, Nutrition & Dietetics, University of Northern Colorado,
- 2007-2013, Assistant Professor, Nutrition & Dietetics, University of Northern Colorado,
- 2007-present, Affiliate Faculty, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- 2007, Research Associate, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
Research/Areas of Interest
- Maternal and child nutrition
- Breastfeeding support
- Nutrition for children with special health needs
- Using the Internet as a way to disseminate nutrition information
The InfaNET website was developed to provide nutrition education to child care providers and was revamped
in 2014 to provide child care providers with the most up-to-date and credible information
on infant feeding.
- Lessen, R., Kavanagh, K. (Clark, A., Content Advisor). Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding
and Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, March 2015.
- Clark, A., Bezyak, J., Testerman, N. Individuals with severe mentalillness have improved eating behaviors and cooking skills after attending a six-week nutrition education program. Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 2015, 1: 1-3.
- Sand, K, [Undergraduate Student], Clark, A. "Knowledge, Attitudes and Behaviors Among College Aged Females Regarding Nutrition
Before and During Pregnancy': Undergraduate Research Journal at the University of Northern Colorado, April 2014,
- Cline, A., Clark, A. Students in dietetics and nutrition program prefer active learning modes to other
methods. International Journal of Nutrition & Dietetics, 2013, 1(1): 41-54.
- Stewart, M. [Undergraduate Student], Clark, A. Determining the mosteffective way to engage undergraduate dietetics students in research - Classroom requirement or volunteer opportunity. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Research Dietetics Practice Group Journal,
Summer 2012, 4(7).
- Ehrlich, M. [Undergraduate Student], Clark, A. Evaluating healthy meal choices on children's menus in sit-down restaurants. Undergraduate Research Journal at the University of Northern Colorado, April 2012,
- Clark, A., Auten, C [Undergraduate Student]. Assessing child care providers' SIDS practices and website educational material use.
Relational Child & Youth Care Practice Journal, Fall 2011, 24(3): 33-39.
- Clark, A., Dellaport, J. Development of a WIC single-user breast pump protocol. Breastfeeding Medicine, February 2011, 6(1): 37-40.
Honors and Awards
- 2013-2014, UNC Women's Resource Center Recognition for Lactation Stations
- 2013, Weld County Health Department Award for Lactation Stations
- 2012, UNC Women's Resource Center Faculty Volunteer of the Year
- 2011, UNC Disability Support Services Recognized Professor
- 2010, Colorado Dietetic Association Outstanding Young Dietitian of the Year
- 2010, Northern Colorado Dietetic Association Outstanding Young Dietitian of the Year
- 2010, UNC Faculty Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year Award
- 2009-2015, UNC Mortar Board Favorite Professor