University Libraries COVID-19 FAQ
- When will University Libraries open?
Both Michener and Skinner Music Libraries will open to the public on Aug. 3. We will have shorter hours during that time, but we plan to return to normal hours when fall classes start.
Aug. 3 - Aug. 21
Skinner Music Library
Aug. 22 - Aug. 23
Skinner Music Library
Aug. 24 - Aug. 28
Skinner Music Library
Aug. 29 - Dec. 11
Skinner Music Library
- Can I check out or return a laptop?
Yes, laptops are available to check out during any open hours starting August 3rd.
You can also return a laptop during open hours starting August 3rd. IM&T needs to reimage all laptops checked out to students, so if you have a laptop please return it as soon as you are done with it. You will be able to check out another laptop prior to the beginning of fall classes.
- Will you be continuing “curbside pick-up” when the building opens on Aug. 3?
As you can now, you will be able to request items be placed on hold. There will no longer be a set pick up time, as the building will be open to the public. You will need to bring your ID with you and materials will be checked out at the time of pickup.
If you are interested in a reduced contact pickup, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 or quarantined and can’t pick up my materials. What
should I do?
Please send an email to email@example.com with your request, and we will determine the best course of action to get you needed materials.
- What if I need help with a research question or finding something online?
- How do I know what journals are available through University Libraries when using
Follow these steps:
- In an internet browser, go to https://scholar.google.com/
- In the upper, left-hand corner of the screen, click on the three horizontal lines that indicate a menu
- From the menu, click on Settings or the image of a gear
- Click on Library Links
- Type in “University of Northern Colorado” and click Search
- Click in the boxes next to “University of Northern Colorado – Find it at UNC” and “University of Northern Colorado – FindIt@UNC”
- Click Save
- When you clear you history/cache/cookies, you will need to repeat this process again
This video demonstrates how to navigate Google Scholar settings in order to use the “Find it @ UNC” link.
After setting up UNC affiliation in Google Scholar “Find it at UNC” will appear by journals available through University Libraries:
- Can the Libraries provide online access to my textbook?
Maybe. Most textbook publishers do not sell e-books to libraries. However, University Libraries is ready to help faculty and students find alternative methods to accessing needed reading.
If you are a professor, please contact your liaison librarian to see if your particular textbook can be purchased online, if chapters of the textbook can be scanned and put on e-reserve, or to find alternative text available online that meets the needs of your teaching.
If you are a student, please contact your professor.
If you have further questions, about this or any other topic, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I request items through Prospector and Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Yes. Prospector is available from a number of libraries around the state. Not all Prospector libraries are currently loaning materials, but more and more are coming online each week. ILL materials are also being ordered and received from participating libraries. If your order cannot be filled, you will be notified.
- What if I need access to materials on reserve?
Electronic Reserve materials are available online, and Course Reserve materials are available for checkout at the circulation desk of Michener Library and Skinner Music Library, with safety procedures in place.
- What if I want to place physical materials on reserve for a class I’m teaching?
Due to safety concerns related to the coronavirus, University Libraries has changed the handling of print materials, and this will affect Course Reserve offerings. Minimizing the number of print materials on Reserve will also ease the transition if UNC has to make another sudden shift to online-only learning.
Items with plastic cases such as DVDs and CDs can still be checked out for a short time and will be cleaned upon return. However, paper materials including books and photocopies must be quarantined for 72 hours after each use. This makes a traditional 2- or 4-hour Reserve checkout impractical, but if you want to provide a longer checkout period, please let us know.
If you had print materials on Reserve for your course in previous semesters, please consider alternatives this year:
- Make selections of course materials available via Electronic Reserve. University Libraries will use a Fair Use analysis to determine how much of a given work can be placed on Electronic Reserve. One article or chapter from a larger work is almost always a Fair Use; more will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- Point your students to materials available through databases and publications already licensed by University Libraries.
- Work with your subject liaison to find other appropriate sources that are freely available online.
- Work with your subject liaison to request additional ebook access for a given text. This should be considered a last resort since ebook access for multiple users can be cost-prohibitive.
Library staff will contact instructors who currently have materials on Reserve to discuss options for this fall.
For more information about Michener Library Course Reserves, please contact Cat Hildebrand or Sarah Vaughn. If you’d like to add new material to Reserve, you can submit materials electronically with this form, or bring materials for scanning to the Michener Library Information & Services desk.
For more information about Skinner Music Library Course Reserves, please contact Emily Ruge or visit the Skinner Music Library Circulation Desk.
- Can I schedule an instruction session for my class?
Yes! We are excited to work with you in creating an instruction session that best meets the needs of your class and teaching modality. Please complete this form to start the process.
- Are there copyright limits on what I can post to my Canvas shell?
- Can I donate books and other materials to the Libraries?
We are unable to accept donations of books and other materials at this time.
- Skinner Music Library
- Archives & Special Collections
- Digital UNC
- Michener Library Maps
- Reserve Rooms & Equipment
- Schedule Library Instruction
- Give to the Libraries
- Ask a Librarian
14th Avenue and 20th Street Campus Box 48
University of Northern Colorado Greeley, CO 80639-0091