As you prepare to start college at UNC this spring or next fall, you may be deciding between living on or off campus. Although there are pros and cons to each, at UNC, there are many benefits to living on campus and we would encourage you to do so.
10 reasons to live on campus:
1. Studies show that students who live on campus continue to academically out-perform their peers who live off campus.
2. Students who live on campus are exposed to greater diversity and get the chance to meet new people, which leads to better quality friendships and a broader worldview.
3. Living on campus gives students the opportunity to take advantage of dining services and save time shopping, cooking, and doing dishes. This leaves more time for social events and studying.
4. Living on campus gives students the freedom to walk to class and save money on car expenses. Plus, save time and frustration hunting down a good parking spot! Which also means you can walk to the Campus Recreation!
5. Living on campus minimizes distractions and lets you fully immerse yourself into your studies and new community. Although you may miss family and your high school friends, being without them can be a positive experience that will allow you to fully maximize your time at college and stay focused.
6. It’s a unique experience you will only get once. Living in the UNC residence halls will only be an option for you while you attend school. So, take advantage of the short amount of time you have to devote your time to yourself, your studies, your interests, and your new friends.
7. Bring your fury friend to UNC at one of the pet friendly residence halls. This is a great way to take a piece of home with you to college. Students and pets both enjoy UNC’s beautiful and spacious campus!
8. Enjoy free school events. You’ll never be stuck with nothing to do while you’re living on campus.
9. Have the freedom to hit snooze a few extra times. You could be out of bed and in class in less than 5 minutes. (If you’re okay with going to class in your pajamas, that is.)
10. Living on campus is just more convenient, all around. And as a busy student, you don’t need the extra hassle of taking care of your own place and commuting back and forth.
Fill out your UNC Housing Contract now and start packing!