UNC will begin COVID-19 screening students who live in the residence halls (including Arlington Park Apartment Residents) starting Tuesday, October 13, 2020. The purpose of screening testing is to allow the university to monitor and address COVID-19 cases with timely intervention and response. COVID-19 tests will be administered at pop-up tent locations on-campus on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Students will receive an email from Housing & Residential Education with detailed information on testing dates, locations and required information to complete before arriving at a testing site. Students living on campus are highly encouraged to complete the information and test during their assigned group test week. UNC will be randomly assigning students to one of four groups for testing. Each group will be tested in the next four weeks in hopes that all students living on campus will have been administered a surveillance test.
COVID-19 Screening Testing Procedure
Students will be required to complete a COVID-19 Screening Testing Form before arriving to a test tent. The form does ask for insurance information, however, there is no out-of-pocket expenses for the student to take the test. The form must be completed each time the student’s group is called for testing. Students need to frequently check their Bearmail for detailed information on dates, times and form instructions.
What to do before the test:
- Before completing the COVID-19 Surveillance Form, students should take a photo of their State ID or Driver’s License and health insurance card. The form will ask students to upload this information. Students who do not have health insurance, you will need to check the “Do not have health insurance” box. There are no out-of-pocket expenses for students to take the test, including those with no insurance.
- Students will need to complete the COVID-19 Screening Form that was sent to their Bearmail account from Housing & Residential Education. The form will need to be submitted at least 24-hours in advance or by the deadline listed in the email and before arriving to a surveillance test tent.
What to expect at the COVID-19 Screening Test Tent:
- Everyone is to wear face masks at all times until instructed to remove it for the test and maintain 6-feet of social distancing.
- Students will be asked for their UNC Bear ID Card.
- Students will be taking the FDA approved nasal swab test. Medical staff will perform the tests. Tests take about :60 seconds to administer.
Results will be emailed to your UNC Bearmail account with telephone follow-up for any positive results. Be sure to check your Bearmail and always answer your phone when you receive a call from a medical provider or health services representative.
Screening testing is not intended for those who are currently experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. If you have COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed to novel coronavirus you should self-quarantine per CDC guidelines for 14 days and call the Student Health Center to schedule your individual appointment for testing. Submit the forms below to provide information about individuals who are, or should be, in self-isolation or self-quarantine as a result of COVID-19.
Still Have Questions?