Campus recreation staff have been working on a fall semester re-entry plan that allows students to use the recreation center on campus while following the federal, state and local agency recommendations. As situations change, guidelines and protocols are fluid and may change with institutional, local, and state guidelines updates.
Students' health is our number one priority; therefore, there are many new protocols the Campus Recreation Center will need to enforce. Campus Recreation will be deep cleaning before, during, and after hours of operation.
Campus Recreation is still finalizing the fall re-entry plan to support the health and safety of students on campus. We encourage students to review the following information.
Social Distance Equipment and Spacing Guidelines
- Open Swim: We will allow lap swim only with one swimmer per lane. Swimmers will be encouraged to swim only and not hang on or cross under lane lines.
- Group Fitness Classes: Participants will have work-out pods/designated spaces to keep them separate and safe.
- Personal Training: Trainers and clients will keep 6 feet of distance.
- Locker Rooms and Bathrooms: Six feet of distance between bathroom stalls, benches, lockers, and other features will be permitted.
- Fitness Equipment: Throughout the facility will be properly spaced out six feet apart.
- General Equipment: Any equipment that cannot achieve the 6-foot separation will be removed or taken offline.
- Other Spaces: We are seeking to utilize other spaces in the building for fitness equipment usage in order to offer as many options as possible.
Cleaning and Disinfecting Spaces
- We have confirmed with the manufacturers of our cleaning chemicals that the products we use and offer meet the standards set forth by the CDC recommendations.
- Signs will be posted throughout the "Strength & Conditioning" area, as well as, on the equipment to remind members to clean equipment before and after their workouts.
- Our building staff will increase cleaning frequency and building rounds while helping to educate members on proper cleaning technique, when needed.
- Our fitness staff will work with their clients and class participants to properly and thoroughly clean all equipment used during a session or class.
- Our facility staff will have new cleaning protocols for deep-cleaning schedules before and after hours of operation.
- Members will have access to GymWipes and/or other cleaning supplies for their personal use on equipment before and after their workouts.
- We are targeting slower visit times to shutdown sections of the "Strength & Conditioning" areas to allow for deep cleaning of equipment, floors, mats, railings and other high-touch surfaces.
- We will work with UNC Custodial Services to further coordinate cleaning efforts to ensure we are providing the safest environment that we can.
- Signage for each space will be posted with the new capacity number for that area.
- We will have a reservation system, either digitally or manually, set-up to maintain COVID space capacities with members.
- Student staff will be trained and employed to help monitor facility spaces and ensure we are staying within capacity levels, as well as coordinate any queuing that is needed.
- We are planning to use a reservation system for our programs, such as Group Fitness classes, in order to help our members plan their visits around pre-determined time slots.