T 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
University of Northern Colorado
Department of Sociology
Campus Box 142
Greeley, CO 80639
Ph.D. in Sociology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- 08/2017-present: University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado, Professor of
- 07/2013-06/2014: University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado, Department Chair
& Associate Professor of Sociology
- 08/2012-07/2017: University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado, Associate Professor
- 08/2007-07/2012: University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado, Assistant Professor
Research/Areas of Interest
- Sociology of sport
Allen, K. R., & Henderson, A. C. (in press). Family Theories: Foundations & Applications. Malden, MA: Wiley.
Henderson, A.C. 2013. The Tender Cut: Inside the Hidden World of Self-Injury. Social Science Journal, volume 50 (2), 274-275.
Henderson, A.C. 2013. “Defining Caregiving Relationships: Using Intergenerational Ambivalence Theory to
Explain Burden Among Racial and Ethnic Groups” in More Than Blood: Today’s Reality and Tomorrow’s Vision of Family. Sherilyn Marrow & Dennis A.V. Leoutsakas. Kendall Hunt Publishing Company.
Henderson, A.C., Sandra Harmon & Harmony Newman. 2015. The Price Mothers Pay, Even When They Are
Not Buying It: Mental Health Consequences of Idealized Motherhood. Sex Roles: An International Journal of Research, 1-15.
Murdock, Jennifer, Molly Strear, Michael Jenkins-Guarnieri, and Henderson, A. C. 2014. Collegiate Athletes and Career Identity. Sport, Education and Society, DOI: 10.1080/13573322.2014.924920
Newman, Harmony D. and Angie C.Henderson. 2014. "The Modern Mystique: Organizational Enforcement of Hegemonic Motherhood"
Sociological Inquiry,84(3), 472-491.
Henderson, A. C. and Jennifer Murdock. 2012. "Getting Students Beyond Ideologies: Using Heterosexist Guided Imagery in the Classroom." Innovations in Higher Education, volume 37, number 3.
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Humanities & Social Sciences,
University of Northern Colorado.
- 2016 Named Faculty Member of the Game, Men’s Basketball (Dually Nominated by
Spencer Mathis & Jeremy Verhagen), University of Northern Colorado.
- 2014 Nominated for the Engaged Scholar Award by Dr. Kyle Anne Nelson.
- 2014 Named an Outstanding Supportive Faculty, GLBTA Resource Office.
- 2012 Named “Patriotic Employer” by Dominique Keys. Awarded by the National
Guard and Reserves.
- 2013 Named Outstanding Faculty, Center for Human Enrichment.
- 2013 Named Outstanding Faculty, Nominated by First Year Scholar.
- 2011 Named Outstanding Professor, Delta Zeta Sorority, University of Northern
- 2011 Named Faculty Member of the Game, Women’s Basketball (Nominated by Brittany
Fernandez), University of Northern Colorado.
- 2011 Named Outstanding Faculty, Nominated by First Year Scholar Jake Neel.
- 2009 Named “Most Inspiring Faculty Woman” at the University of Northern Colorado.