Stormwater Management Program
Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4)
City of Greeley currently holds a federally-mandated Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) for areas within the city.
The University of Northern Colorado (UNC) falls under the City of Greeley MS4 permit. UNC has created a Stormwater Management Program with goal of reducing the amount of stormwater pollution entering local creeks, streams and rivers via storm drain access points located on UNC property.
Per the intergovernmental agreement with the City of Greeley and Weld County, UNC has been tasked with implementing the six Minimum Control Measures (MCM) below:
1. Public Education and Outreach:
Educate residents and members of the business community about the impacts of stormwater on water bodies and the steps the public can take to help reduce pollutants in stormwater runoff.
2. Public Participation/Involvement:
Provide a mechanism and process to allow the public to review and provide input on the Stormwater Management Program.
3. Illicit Detection and Elimination:
Develop, implement and enforce a program to detect and eliminate spills, illegal dumping and other non-stormwater discharges into the County’s storm drainage system.
4. Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control:
Develop, implement and enforce a program to reduce pollutants in any stormwater runoff from construction areas into the City’s storm drainage system.
5. Post-construction Site Stormwater Management:
Ensure adequate long-term operation and maintenance of stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs) in order to prevent or minimize impacts to stormwater from new developments or redevelopments.
6. Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations:
Develop and implement an operation and maintenance program with the goal of preventing or reducing pollutant runoff from municipal operations.
UNC has created and adapted standard operating procedures and guidelines to ensure compliance with the City’s federally-mandated MS4 permit
- Arts Annex Silica Catch Drain Procedure
- Arts Annex Kiln Yard Cleaning Procedure
- Disinfecting Water Mains
- Glycol Spill Cleanup Procedure
- Grease Trap and Grease Bin Procedures
- Hazardous Materials Management Plan
- Paint Recycle Program
- Parking Services Paint Waste Disposal
- Pesticide Safety Guidelines
- Power Washing Guidelines
- Sewage Overflow Cleanup Procedure
- Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plan
- Stormwater Construction & Post Construction Guidelines
- Synthetic Turf Cleanup Guidelines
- Universal Waste Management Plan
For more information about the City of Greeley’s stormwater management plan, please refer to the City of Greeley Stormwater Division.