Off Campus Bear Plans
With all the meal plan options available, it's important to choose a meal plan that meets your needs. You'll want to keep in mind when your classes are, as well as where they're located. Also consider your current eating habits – do you skip meals, do you prefer “three squares a day,” are you on a special diet, etc. Don't be surprised if your dining habits change during the course of the year.
**Please remember that all meal plans are good for one semester only.**
Bear Plans are only available to students who live:
- in Lawrenson Hall
- at Arlington Park Apartments
- off campus
The following prices are good for Fall 2019, Spring 2020, and Summer 2020.
Off Campus Bear Plans
|Bear Plans||Average Meals Per Week *||Price Per Semester|
|160 Bear Plan||10||$1,755|
|120 Bear Plan||7-8||$1,330|
|80 Bear Plan||5||$895|
|50 Bear Plan||3||$569|
|25 Bear Plan||1-2||$286|
|10 Bear Plan||<1||$117|
*Note: Averages are based on a 16-week semester.
You can choose the meal, how often you eat, and where you eat in any of the three dining facilities (Tobey-Kendel, Holmes, Bears Bistro, or the University Center Food Court). Your guest(s) may be admitted with you through the use of additional swipes with your Bear Plan, but you must be there to swipe them in. Meals are ONLY valid for the semester the plan is purchased. They DO NOT carry forward from Fall to Spring. There are NO monetary refunds for uneaten meals.
How Do Students Sign Up?
If you are eligible, you can sign up for an Off Campus Bear Plan in person at the UC Card Office, any dining room (during the school year), or the Dining Services Office located in Tobey-Kendel Hall, room 120... or use our online dining contract.
How Do The Meal Plans Work?
Meal plans are pretty easy to understand once you know a few basics...
- With Bear Plans, you receive a specific amount of meals to use each semester... and it's up to you to "budget" your meals. You are welcome to add more meals on to your account at any time if you run out of meals... you need to remember that meals do not carry forward from Fall to Spring like Dining Dollars do.
- Just like with an On Campus Meal Plan, it's completely up to you to decide how to use your meal plan - however it works best for you. For example, if a student wanted to go to lunch at 11am and have a salad and a glass of milk... and then go back at 1pm for a sandwich and bowl of ice cream, that's OK with us. Most students don't do that, but it is OK to do. Just remember that each time you enter the dining room, that's one meal you'll use.
- You can change your mind (and your meal plan) up through the University published Drop Deadline (10th day of classes). Specific dates and deadlines listed here. All contract changes must be done by the student (the contract holder) by the deadlines listed above.
- Meal plans (both On Campus and Off Campus plans) are good for one semester only. Dining Dollars are different... they carry forward from Fall to Spring. Summer Dining Dollars are available during summer session only. No refunds are given for unused meal plans or Dining Dollars.
- Based on a 16-week semester, there are around 300 meals served throughout the semester... but that can vary depending on the exact number of days in each semester.
Use your Bear Plan at any of these locations:
- Holmes Dining Hall
- Gourmet To Go
- Bear On The Run
- Tobey-Kendel Dining Room
- Bear On The Run
- University Center Food Court
- Bears Bistro (around the corner from the UC Food Court)
Don't Forget To Add Dining Dollars
Dining Dollars allow you to purchase food and beverage items at campus retail dining locations using your UNC Card. Students who carry an On Campus Meal Plan will automatically receive Bonus Meals and Dining Dollars (except the 10 Meals Per Week meal plan). Any UNC student (currently registered for classes) can purchase Dining Dollars in increments of $25. (Parents, you can add Dining Dollars to your student's account with a credit card here!) Dining Dollars carry forward from Fall to Spring, but they expire the last day of Finals week in Spring.
The deadline to change or cancel your meal contract (includes On Campus Meal Plans, Off Campus Bear Plans, and Dining Dollars) is 5pm on the University published Drop Deadline:
- Fall 2019: Monday, September 9th
- Spring 2020: Monday, January 27th
Have a guest who wants to eat in the dining rooms with you? No problem... you can:
Need more information? Email Dining Services or call us at 970-351-2652.