UNC Student Vaccination Policy
UNC students are required to be vaccinated and receive a COVID-19 booster. Medical and non-medical exemptions are available to students who are unable to or do not wish to receive a vaccination.
Who Needs to Submit Records:
Students new to UNC for the spring 2022 semester:
- In the Secure Student Portal, select the appropriate options in all of the drop-down menus, including whether you received the vaccine/booster, type of vaccine and date(s) received AND submit a digital copy of your vaccination card OR an exemption form (links provided below).
Students who already submitted proof of COVID-19 vaccination to UNC for their primary series:
- If you already received a booster shot:
- Login to UNC's Secure Student Portal, select the appropriate options in all of the drop-down menus, including that you received the vaccine and booster, type of vaccines and dates received AND submit a digital copy of your vaccination card showing all of your doses.
- If you plan to get a booster shot but aren't eligible until after Feb. 7, 2022:
- Login to UNC's Secure Student Portal, select the appropriate options in the drop-down menus, including that you received the vaccine, type of vaccine and dates received. Indicate in the booster shot drop-down menu that you will receive your booster after Feb. 7, 2022. When you get your booster shot, log back into the portal, select the appropriate options in all of the drop-down menus AND submit a digital copy of your vaccination card showing your booster shot.
- If you received the vaccine but want to be exempt from the booster shot requirement:
- Login to UNC's Secure Student Portal, select the appropriate options in the drop-down menus, including that you received the vaccine, type of vaccine and dates received. Indicate in the booster shot drop-down menu that you will not get a booster shot AND resubmit a digital copy of your vaccination card.
Students who already submitted an exemption and either got vaccinated or want to remain exempt for the booster:
- If you got the vaccine/booster after submitting an exemption, login to UNC's Secure Student Portal select the appropriate options in all of the drop-down menus provided, including that you received the vaccine/booster, type of vaccine and date(s) received AND submit a digital copy of your vaccination card.
- If you already submitted an exemption for the primary series and want to remain exempt for the booster shot requirement, you do not need to do anything.
How to Submit Your Records
Upload a digital copy — PDF or JPG — of your COVID-19 vaccination card showing vaccination/booster dose information, or a certificate of medical or nonmedical exemption (links provided below) through UNC's Secure Student Portal.
- Sign in using your UNC student credentials (Bearmail username without @bears.unco.edu and Ursa password). After submitting documentation, students will receive an email of receipt in their Bearmail account within one week confirming that their documentation has been received and processed.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties logging into the secure student portal or uploading your COVID-19 vaccination documentation, please contact the IT help desk at 351-help or email email@example.com.
For answers to common questions about submitting your vaccination documentation, including what to do if you lost your vaccination card, check out our FAQs.
Exemption From Policy
Students have the right to request an exemption from this vaccination requirement for a medical or non-medical (religious or personal belief) reason. This policy adopts the terms and definitions used by the State of Colorado for other vaccinations. To request an exemption, students should submit the appropriate Certificate of Exemption form linked below through UNC's Secure Student Portal.
If you already submitted an exemption request for the primary vaccine series, you do not need to submit another exemption form for the booster shot requirement.
- A Certificate of Medical Exemption is available for individuals who can't get the vaccine due to a medical condition. The document should be completed by the student (or by their parent or guardian, if the student is under 18) and signed by their health care provider (a medical doctor, doctor of osteopathic medicine, advanced practice nurse or delegated physician's assistant). Please note, all medical exemptions will be confirmed with the health care provider's office and will not be accepted if they have not been signed. If documents are found to not meet the requirements, the student will be contacted by email and asked to send new documents.
Non-medical (Religious or Personal Belief) Exemption
- A Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption is available for individuals who don't want the vaccine for other reasons, such as personal or religious reasons. The certificate will not require a signature from a health care provider.
About the Policy
UNC students are required to be vaccinated and receive a COVID-19 booster in order to participate in in-person classes, campus housing and other in-person activities, services and events.Students who are enrolled in approved, exclusively online academic programs through Extended Campus are exempted from this policy.
Students who register for any in-person classes, live on campus, or participate in any on-campus activities, services, or events must either:
- Submit a COVID-19 immunization record demonstrating a full course of COVID-19 vaccinations and a booster shot; or,
- Request and receive an exemption prior to participating in on-campus activities.
Students may be vaccinatedby a healthcare provider of their choice and receive any of the vaccines currently available.
International students who encounter difficulty obtaining a vaccine prior to the beginning of the term should contact the Center for International Education for assistance. UNC will be prepared to provide information about where vaccines can be acquired or facilitate vaccination upon arrival to campus in these situations, if needed.
If granted an exemption, students will be required* to:
- Monitor UNC email for important health notifications;
- Follow appropriate quarantine and isolation guidelines for unvaccinated individuals/individuals who are eligible for but have not received a booster shot if they are exposed to someone with COVID-19, develop symptoms of COVID-19 or test positive for COVID-19.
*These requirements are subject to change based upon state and federal mandates, available and emerging epidemiological evidence and the overall burden of disease related to COVID-19 transmission on our campus and in our region. Student compliance with these requirements is subject to verification.
Class Absences for Exempted Students in Isolation or Quarantine
As with all absences, students who are unable to complete scheduled class activities due to isolation or quarantine must work with their instructor(s) to determine how to meet the course objectives. Absences for isolation or quarantine do not relieve students from meeting the course requirements.
Failure to Comply
Students who have not provided records confirming they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or been granted an exemption, or students who submit fraudulent information regarding their vaccination status or as part of their request for an exemption, are subject to adjudication under the UNC Student Code of Conduct (the ‘BEAR code’).