UNC Athletics COVID-19 Updates
Impacts to student athletes will be shared on this webpage.
Last Updated 3/24/2020
- Will there be any athletic events for the rest of the Spring 2020 Semester?
No, the Big Sky Conference and Western Athletic Conference cancelled all spring sports and championships.
- If I am a senior in a Spring sport will I receive another year of eligibility? Yes, the NCAA announced on March 30th that spring athletes with an additional year can transfer to another institution to utilize that year.
- If I am granted an additional year, do I have the possibility to transfer to use that
At this point is it unclear whether seniors who would have exhausted eligibility this spring can transfer to use that additional year. We are working with our conference office partners and the NCAA for clarity.
- Are seniors the only spring athletes that will be (possibly) honored an extra year
No, the NCAA announced on March 30th, that eligibility extension would be granted to all spring athletes regardless of year.
- Will my athletic scholarship still cover me for the remainder of the year?
Yes, athletic scholarship will continue to pay out through May for the academic year. For those that are living off-campus, your stipend will continue to payout on the same dates as normal.
- When will the summer school scholarship application be available to student-athletes?
The summer school application was release on April 6th to all current athletes through JumpForward.
- Can I use Athletic Facilities to work out?
No, all athletic facilities are closed until further noticed, all athletic activities have been cancelled through May 15th.
- When will practices resume?
All practices have been cancelled by the Big Sky Conference through May 15th.
- As a SA will I be required to return to campus anytime during this semester for any
reason except to pick up my belongings?
No, all athletic activities have been cancelled through May 15th.
- When can I get back into my sports locker to retrieve personal belongings?
The University will be closing campus buildings (except for dorms) by Friday, March 27th at 5pm. Please coordinate with your head coach to come to your locker room and collect all personal items as soon as possible (and prior to the closure date). If you are unable to collect your items by the closure date, please coordinate a special time with your head coach.
- Can I still ask for workouts to do on my own from my coach?
Yes, both your sport coach and sport performance coach can provide workouts for you to complete on your own. Your coach cannot require you to complete these workouts, they are recommended.
- Can I meet virtually (FaceTime, Zoom, Microsoft Teams) with my coach to review film
or the playbook?
Yes, you can schedule a virtual meeting with your coach to go over film/playbook. If you coach requires this, it must fall under out-of-season CARA regulations and must be logged on JumpForward.
- Can a coach hold a sport specific virtual practice or skill instruction for a student-athlete
- Can I still schedule a meeting with the Sport Psychologists during this time?
Yes, Andrew and Tasha are meeting virtually with clients, please email them to set up an appointment.
- If I have an academic issue who should I contact?
Please contact your please contact your athletic advisor from the Student Athlete Academic Success Center for all academic/registration questions.
- Are coaches able to still recruit at this time?
Yes, coaches can still speak to recruits at this time by phone, email or social media as long as they are of permissible age per NCAA rules. Please see chart below. Coaches are not allowed to have in-person contact with recruiting until after May 31st at this point in time.
Incoming Telephone Calls
Outgoing Telephone Calls
Men's Basketball 6/15 after sophomore year Anytime 6/14 after sophomore year Women’s Basketball 9/1 of junior year Anytime 9/1 of junior year Football 9/1 of junior year Anytime 4/15 of junior year Softball 9/1 of junior year 9/1 of junior year 9/1 of junior year Baseball 9/1 of junior year Anytime 9/1 of junior year All Other Sports 6/15 after sophomore year 6/15 after sophomore year 6/15 after sophomore year
- If I am injured can I still receive treatment?
Yes, the Sports Medicine Staff is still available to provide advice and care. Please communicate directly with your athletic trainer to determine the appropriate steps for you to get treatment.
- Will there be Den Awards this year?
At this point we have cancelled in-person Den Awards, however we are exploring other options to celebrate all our athletes this year and will communicate once we have finalized the plan.
- When will know if we have scholarship for next year?
Per NCAA rules, renewals must be sent by July 1st, we will be working on renewals over the next two months and will have them sent to your Bearmail early June. If you have questions about your scholarship please talk to your head coach.