Starting a Recognized Student Organization
To become a Recognized Student Organization (RSO) at UNC, clubs/organizations must:
- Have three or more UNC student members.
- Have an advisor who is employed by UNC at least half time as faculty, staff, or a graduate assistant.
- The majority of members (51% or more) must be currently enrolled UNC students.
- Have at least three officers. Non-student members may not serve in officer roles.
- Comply with all UNC policies and regulations, as well as state, local, and federal laws.
- Comply with UNC’s Office of Student Organizations non-discrimination policy which states that “recognized student organizations may not limit membership and participation in organizational activities based on race, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military service, or political affiliation.” This statement extends to membership privileges and voting privileges.
- Write a constitution that meet RSO guidelines.
- Submit and renewal of application for each academic year.
Every student organization seeking recognition must submit an application with an updated constitution each academic year. Applications are submitted using the online form linked below. Please review the RSO Constitution Guide and the RSO Application Preview before starting your application.
Before starting the form, it is recommended that you prepare the following information:
- Current club constitution (electronic copy)
- Names and contact information for all officers
- Designate three officers to approve financial transactions
- Name and contact information for advisor
- A short (100 words or fewer) description of the group
- Meeting information (day, time, and location)
Please note that information included in the RSO application such as officer's names, officer's e-mail addresses, and the club's meeting schedule is shared publicly via the Office of Clubs and Organization's Club List.