Criminal Justice in the U.K.
This course is currently closed and registration is no longer open.
This course (undergraduate and graduate course options are available) is designed to provide students with a general, theoretical, and practical understanding of the criminal justice system in England. Students will use this knowledge to draw comparisons to the criminal justice system in the United States. At the end of the term, students will travel to London where direct contact with practitioners in the English criminal justice system will occur. At that time, the similarities and differences between the two systems will “come to life.”
We will explore the following areas:
- The English and their system of government (compared with America)
- The extent of crime in England and in the United States
- Law enforcement in both countries (history and modern-day organization)
- English criminal law, court organization, and criminal procedure (compared with the United States)
- History of corrections in England, modern-day administration, and types of punishments (compared with corrections in the United States)
Current UNC undergraduate students must completed CRJ 110 Introduction to Criminal Justice with a minimum grade of a C or better to be eligible.
Junior and senior Criminology & Criminal Justice majors with a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher are permitted to take this course. Those who do not meet the GPA or major requirements must contact the instructor for consideration.
Prerequisites require an instructor override in advance of your registration in Ursa. Please contact the instructor before registering to provide proof of completion of the prerequisite course. Other UNC staff are not able to assist with prerequisite overrides for registration.
Current UNC graduate students can register for this course.
Non-degree seeking students who have earned a bachelor's degree and have applied to the graduate school and not been admitted or are not pursing a degree may participate. However, a non-degree seeking student is not eligible for financial aid.
This course is full and registration is no longer open.
$400 depositpaid to UNC and due with application. Non-refundable unless application is denied or course is canceled.
$4,215 paid to UNC and due with summer semester tuition. These UNC billed costs include 3 credits, airfare, lodging, some meals, excursions, in-country transportation, insurance and admin fees.
Total UNC Tuition and Fees: $4,615
Other costs, not billed by UNC are estimates and will vary by person and are purchased individually:
- Meals not covered by provider: $150
- Passport (if needed): $135
Total other costs (estimated): $285
You will be billed for the remaining program cost around the beginning of the academic term in which the course is delivered.
Any course material costs are assessed and paid separately.
- All Faculty-led Programs
- Biology in Belize
- Beer and Brewing in England
- Criminal Justice in England
- Economics in Ethiopia
- Social Inequalities in France, Belgium and Iceland
- Opera in Germany
- Music Education in Slovenia
- German Politics in Berlin
- Renaissance Art in Italy
- Spanish in Peru
*This course is closed
Undergraduate: CRJ 395-604 (3 credits)
Graduate: CRJ 595-605 (3 credits)
- Online Coursework: May 6 - 31, 2019
- On-campus Sessions: TBD
- Travel: May 10 - 25, 2019
- Application due: March 8