Jump to main content

Pre-Arrival Information

Now that you have been accepted to UNC you need to prepare for coming to the United States.  The steps below will help you fully prepare for your arrival. 

If you have questions at any time please contact the Center for International Education.

  • When to Arrive

    U.S. Immigration law allows students to arrive in the USA up to 30 days before the start of classes. CIE requires students to arrive at least one week before the beginning of classes. Please plan your travel arrangements accordingly.

  • Activate your Ursa Account

    Ursa is the secure, electronic gateway to real-time information and tools for University of Northern Colorado faculty, staff and students. Ursa makes UNC's day-to-day operations and long-range planning more efficient and more effective.

  • Activate your Bear Mail Account

    When you are admitted to UNC, an e-mail account called BearMail is automatically created.  This account is the one used by faculty and university offices to communicate with you and it is important to use this UNC student email. This is the official form of communication between all parts of the university and you. 

  • Housing in the U.S.

    One of your immediate concerns will be to find housing. On-campus living is worry-free living and you’ll be at the center of the action. You’ll be just a short walk from classes, labs and libraries. You’ll have easy access to University Center events, the Campus Recreation Center and a variety of dining options. You’ll also be among the first to know about social events, sporting competitions, campus concerts and more.

    Plus, you can’t beat the value and convenience of campus housing. Your telephone, cable TV and high-speed Internet access are included and you’ll save time, money and headaches not having to commute to campus.

    For details on housing options available to you or to claim your space now visit the UNC Housing website. For specific questions you can e-mail Housing & Residential Education at or call 1-970-351-2721. They will be more than happy to assist you in your search for housing.

    error_outline You will be required to pay additionally for the housing during the days you arrive before the residence halls officially open. If you arrive one week before classes begin it will be less than $100 US dollars.

  • Pay SEVIS I-901 Fee

    To pay your required SEVIS I-901 fee, follow these instructions:

    • Go to www.fmjfee.com
    • Select Pay I-901 Fee at the top of the screen
    • Enter the requested information.  To find your SEVIS number, login to the international portal and select View All under your photo, or it is on the top of your I-20 or DS-2019
    • Select form type or either Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
    • You will need the school or program code
        • I-20 School Code: DEN214F00137000
        • DS-2019 Program Code: P-1-03948
    • Submit payment
  • U.S. Visa

    Travel Reminders:
    Travel Reminders for international students and scholars travelling outside the U.S. (good for all international students regardless of the country of origin).

    Recommendations for Successful U.S. Visa Processing:
    A Visa is required to enter the United States. It can take from three days to two months to get your visa and so it is important to start right away. When you go to the U.S. Consulate for your visa interview you will need to take these items:

    • Form DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application completed online.
    • Form DS-2019 from our office. The primary visa holder must sign all DS-2019's
    • Receipt proving payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee. View instructions on paying the SEVIS I-901 fee.
    • Documentation of financial support for the period of your stay at UNC. This should be either:
      • An original statement or letter from your bank or
      • Scholarship or grant awards from you school or
      • Documentation showing the amount needed set aside for your use while in the USA
    • Evidence of your residence abroad and your intent to depart the US after completion of your program. (This can be proof of enrollment for fall semester at your university, an employment contract, or other documents verifying your ties to your home country.)
    • A valid passport. This is valid for a minimum of 6 months after the end of your stay in the USA.

    Helpful Links:

    Travel Ban Update:
    On June 26, 2018, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Travel Ban 3.0. The ban had already been in effect since Dec. 4, 2017, after the Supreme Court stayed preliminary injunctions that had partially blocked the ban. The travel ban continues to permit the continued issuance of student (F and M) and exchange visitor (J) visas from Iran, Libya, Somalia and Yemen, while the visa applicants are subject to enhanced vetting procedures and additional screenings to establish eligibility.

    Should you have any questions or concerns about your ability to enter or reside in the United States, please contact the Center for International Education.

  • Immunization Records

    All new UNC students born after 1957 must complete a Certificate of Immunization against measles, mumps and rubella. The International Admissions office sent this form to you with your admissions letter. Please note that this certification must be signed by a physician, nurse, or school authority. If you do not have proof of immunization, you must either obtain the required immunizations (you can do this after your arrival on campus at the Student Health Center) or sign the exemption statement at the bottom of the immunization form.  If you did not receive the form,

    Download Certificate of Immunization

    error_outline You will not be able to register for classes until you submit this form.

  • Course Registration

    All students must receive advising before registering for classes. New and transfer undergraduates will do this during New Student Orientation. Graduate students should contact their department. Exchange students will work with their home school and CIE. Intensive English students will register after they arrive and have been assessed.

    To register for classes online go to URSA. Undergraduates must have an Alternate “PIN” number in order to register. You will receive this during your advising session.  Be sure that you have enrolled full-time. For undergraduate, exchange and IEP students this is 12 credit hours; for graduate students is 9 credit hours. Please note that only one online class may count toward full-time. For information about course requirements and for descriptions of courses, see the University of Northern Colorado Catalog.

    All business courses must be approved by the School of Business. Please contact the Business Advising Center at  970-351-1233 to register for any classes beginning with a BA. 

    If you do not know which courses to register or have problems register for classes, please contact the Center for International Education so they can refer you to the appropriate office.

  • What to Bring

    Colorado definitely experiences four seasons. While our climate is generally mild, it is certainly unpredictable, and you must be prepared for sudden changes of weather. Although the temperature rarely goes below 0 degrees F (-18 degrees C), it can be windy and feel quite cold.  The normal temperature range for January is between 35 and 50 degrees F (2 – 10 degrees C).  Snow falls occasionally, usually in small amounts of 2–3 inches and disappears within a few days.  Bring cold-weather clothes. If you have warm-weather clothes, either bring them or have them sent to you later. If you come from a cold climate and don’t have warm weather clothes, it is better to wait and buy them here. Throughout the spring the weather will become milder, but snowstorms do occasionally occur in March and April. Summer temperatures average in the upper 80’s (30 degrees C) and may reach 100 degrees F, but evenings cool to comfortable sleeping temperatures.

    CIE will provide opportunities shortly after arriving to purchase items that may have been forgotten or too difficult to pack.  It is not necessary to pack bedding if you live on campus. A linen packet will be provided for a short time when you check in to your building

  • Health Care and Health Insurance

    The cost of medical care is extremely high in the United States and the government does not provide care. You will be responsible for purchasing your own medical insurance or use insurance provided by UNC. The university offers health insurance for students, their spouses and their children. If your spouse or child will come to Greeley with you, you must pay extra for their health insurance, which can be expensive. You may choose one of the University’s plans or you may waive the university insurance and choose an insurance plan offered by a private company. If you are covered by a policy in your home country you must bring proof of your insurance in English

    The insurance policy must be in effect by the waiver deadline for the current semester.