Jump to main content

COVID-19: News and Campus Updates | University Resources | COVID-19 County Status | Fall 2021 Plans

CIE Staff is working remotely. You can reach us at cie@unco.edu, 970-351-2396, through our virtual front desk via Zoom or schedule an appointment A CIE staff member is also available via the international emergency phone at 970-567-9572.  

Incoming International Scholars & Faculty

NOTE: Complete application MUST be received at least 90 days before desired program start date.  All scholars will be assessed a $150 administrative fee each term 

  1. Receive nomination.  All scholars must have a nomination from a UNC faculty member.  That person will provide a letter of invitation as well as a memo of understanding.
  2. Application.  Complete and submit the Application for Visiting International Scholars.  
  3. Submit a brief concept statement of the work you plan to accomplish at UNC and how it will meet the objective of the Exchange Visitor Program to “promote cultural and educational exchange between citizens of the United States and those of other countries.” (maximum length one page)
    This can be summarized in your Hosting Department Agreement
  4. Submit evidence of your English proficiency. Scores from an official English Language Assessment Agency (ie: TOEFL, IELTS) are requested. Our office can also work with you on a remote language assessment called English3.
  5. After you are admitted, you will receive instructions to create your profile in UNC Global. This is also where you will submit necessary documentation to receive immigration paperwork from UNC. You will submit:
  • Proof of financial support for your stay at UNC
  • A photo-quality copy of the biopage of your passport
  • Proof of immunization (REQUIRED if you will be in the classroom for any reason)- This can also be submitted in your Admissions Application Portal. 
  • A copy of your current USA visa (if you have one)