So here’s the thing – our society is surrounded by media that displays hot, steamy sex scenes that assume that penetration equals orgasm. Was anyone else thrown by the sex scene in No Strings Attached when Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman both reached climax in a solid 10 seconds? Public Service Announcement: according to a 2017 study, only 18% of women reported that they can reach climax with penetrative sex alone. So, to the other 82% of you out there wondering how to have an orgasm during penetration – hello and welcome, we have some tips to share with you.  

Tip #1: Learn About Your Body 
Learn more about your body and what you like – masturbation is a healthy sexual behavior that can help you figure out what you like and don’t enjoy. Many people with vaginas need clitoral stimulation to reach orgasm, it’s different for everybody!  

Tip #2: Communication 
Talk with your partner! Many people find it hard to speak up in these moments, but communication is key to expressing your needs. Try phrases like “I love it when you...” or “Can we try...” Curious to find ways to increase communication about what you’d like to try or participate in with your partner? Check out the Assault Survivors Advocacy Program’s (ASAP) Yes, No, Maybe chart to get the conversation started.  

Tip #3: Consider a new Technique 
Changing up your position or trying a new technique can help you uncover what feels best for you. Check out this article by Bustle for some techniques for orgasm.