Dear mentor teachers: The School of Teacher Education sincerely appreciates your willingness to take part in preparation of the new generation of teachers. UNC places high expectations on its teacher candidates to be supportive, helpful, collaborative and punctual to aid in the cooperating teacher’s classroom environment and school.
Mentor teacher qualifications are:
- Valid Colorado license in the area of teacher candidate training OR submit evidence of demonstrated successful teaching and knowledge of specific content using this qualification verification form.
- For student teaching or comparable final field experience: At least three(3) years of full time professional experience in the area of teacher candidate training or four (4) years for non-licensed teachers. All other supervision such as practicum requires 2 years of experience.
- Building principal or District approval; recognition as a master teacher or educational professional.
Cooperating teacher expectations vary across the programs; please check with program coordinators. Common expectations:
- Meet with UNC faculty supervisor at the beginning or before the field experience.
- Mentor teacher candidates, observe their teaching and provide constructive, detailed feedback.
- Complete, sign, and turn in evaluation forms and other documentation (see appropriate handbooks).
- Immediately contact UNC supervisor or program coordinator if you have concerns about candidate's professional dispositions.