University of Northern Colorado
School of Teacher Education
Campus Box 107
Greeley, CO 80639
- Ed.D. University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming Curriculum and Instruction Areas of
Elementary & Early Childhood Education
- M.Ed. University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming Curriculum and Instruction Areas of
Elementary & Early Childhood Education
- B.A. University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming Elementary Education Special Area in
- University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado Professor and Coordinator of Early
Childhood Program Teaching: Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education (2003-present)
- University of Wyoming/Casper College Center, Casper, Wyoming Director Teaching, Administration:
Education Program (1996-2002)
- University of Wyoming, Casper, Wyoming Associate Professor Teaching: Elementary &
Early Childhood Education (2003-present)
- University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming Instructor Teaching: Elementary & Early Childhood
- Mesa State College, Grand Junction, Colorado Instructor Teaching: Elementary Education
- University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming Home Educator Child Care & After School Program
- Albany County School District #1, Laramie, Wyoming Artists in Residence Resident Potter
- Garfield Elementary School, Billings, Montana, Teacher. First Grade (1980-1981)
- Taft Elementary School, Billings, Montana, Teacher. First Grade (1979-1980)
- Hanna Elementary School, Hanna, Wyoming Teacher. Second Grade 1978-1979
- Whiting Elementary School, Laramie, Wyoming Reading Aide. First Grade 1975-1977
- Slade Elementary School, Laramie, Wyoming Reading Aide, Second Grade (1975-1975)
- “Transforming the Workforce for Children Birth Through Age 8: A Unifying Foundation.
Panel Presentation and Fact-Finding Session. Academy of Medicine and National Institution
of Research, Irvine, CA.Podcast: “Early Childhood Education and Meeting Needs of
- Today’s Children, B-5. Podcast Published by The National Academy of Science. Fact-Finding
Session and Presentation, Irvine, CA.
- Expanding Pathways Across Sectors, Linking Credentials, and Articulation: Dialogue
with Colorado Lead Discussants (Susan Thompson and Judy Gump).” Key Discussants for
National Office of Child Development Workforce, Washington, D.C.
- Activity: Examined Early Childhood Program Data and Program. Development. Authored
NAEYC Report Applying for National Recognition (approved with minimal changes) Location:
University of Northern Colorado.
- Member of State of Colorado Committee to Update Early Childhood State Articulation
Agreement. Designated Contact Faculty Member,State of Colorado Early Childhood Articulation
Agreement. Colorado State Department of Education.
Research/Areas of Interest
Early Childhood, Social Studies, Diversity and Social Justice, and Play
- Thompson, S., Conklin, W., and Joe, E. Baatsoslanii. “Baatsoslanii: Navajo
- Man of Many Feathers. Lulu Enterprises, Inc. Raleigh, N.C. 2015.
- Thompson, S., and Williams, K. Telling Stories Through Photo Essays. Thousand Oakes, California: Corwin Press, 2009.
- Thompson, S., Thompson, K., and Lopez, L. Mayan Tales. Englewood, Colorado: Libraries Unlimited/Heinemann, 2007.
*Award for Best Collections of Tales, National Storytelling Network.
- Thompson, S. Children as Illustrators: Learning Through Oral Language, Writing and Art. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children, 2005.
- Thompson, S. “Appreciating Diversity in Children’s Language.” Early Childhood Research and Practice, Spring 2008, Vol. 20 (3).
- Smith-D’Arezzo, W., and Thompson, S., “Topics of Stress and Abuse in Picture Books
for Children.” Children’s Literature in Education: Art International Quarterly, Dec., 2006, Vol. 37(4).
Honors and Awards
- Invited Panel Member for Early Childhood Educators, National Academy of Sciences,
National Academy of Medicine, in Collaboration with National Research Institute. “Science
of Children.” One of Three Universities Nationally. (2014)
- Received Center for Human Enrichment Award, 2012 Outstanding Faculty Award for Advising
and Teaching. Award recognizes faculty who have made a significant difference in the
education of first-generation students. University of Northern Colorado, Greeley,
- Honored as Inspiring Woman at UNC, The Women’s Resource Center and Stryker Institute
for Leadership Development, Greeley, Colorado. (2012)
- Favorite Professor Award. Mortar Board Education Honorary, University of Northern
Colorado, Greeley, Colorado. (2011)
- College of Education Service Provider Award. College of Education, University of
Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado. (2011)
- Storytelling World Resource Award received for Book of Mayan Tales. National Storytelling Organization. One of Two
Award Winning Books. in Category for Collections of Stories for Storytelling. Selected
from Hundreds of Books Submitted by Publishers. Book Selected: Mayan Folktales, Libraries Unlimited. Selected in 2009, notified in 2011. (2011)
- Nominated for Outstanding Service Provider Award, College of Education, University
of Northern Colorado, Greeley Colorado. (2009)
- Keynote Speaker, Aims Community College Early Childhood Graduation, Greeley, Colorado.
- Academic Excellence Week, University Libraries Authors and Artists Reception, Greeley,
Colorado. (2006 -2008)
- Invited to be guest author, NAEYC Conferences, various locations. (2006 – 2016).
- Award: Provost Teaching Excellence in Undergraduate Education, University of Northern
Colorado, Greeley, Colorado. (2007)
- Mortar Board Teaching Award for Excellence, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley,
- Nominated for Outstanding Scholar Award, University of Northern Colorado, College
of Education, Greeley, Colorado. (2004)
- Favorite Professor, Academic Excellence Week at University of Northern Colorado, (selected
by three student athletes), Greeley, Colorado. (2004)
- Nominated for prestigious Humphrey Award for Outstanding Classroom Teaching, University
of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming. (2003)
- Wyoming Early Childhood Association Conference, keynote speaker, Casper, Wyoming.
- Early Childhood Wyoming Professional of the Year, Award by State Early Childhood Education
Association, Casper, Wyoming. (2001)
- Nominated by students and honored by the University of Wyoming’s Ellbogen Center for
Teaching and Learning as an “Outstanding Faculty Member Who Values Diversity.” Laramie,
- Recipient of the College of Education Award for Outstanding Research & Scholarship,
University of Wyoming. (2000)
- Consulting Editor, Young Children, NAEYC, three-year term. (1997-2000).
- Recipient of the prestigious John P. Ellbogen Meritorious Teaching Award, University
of Wyoming. (2000)
- Director of the University of Wyoming Casper College program when NCATE cited program
as “exceptional in quality”. (1996-2000).
- University of Wyoming Casper Faculty Commencement Speaker, Casper, Wyoming. (1999).