UNC has been a proud member of NIRSA since 1979, and has had many students and staff attend state, regional, and national conferences.
What is NIRSA?
NIRSA comprises and supports leaders in collegiate recreation. As college and university students develop into future leaders, NIRSA members support their learning and growth by fostering lifelong habits of well being. Leadership, teamwork, dedication, and respect are among the many skills exercised by inclusive competition, fitness, and recreation. Since its founding in 1950, NIRSA membership has grown to comprise nearly 4,500 dedicated professionals, students, and businesses, serving an estimated 8.1 million students.
NIRSA believes that collegiate recreation is a significant and powerful key to inspiring wellness in local, regional, and global communities. Learn more about our mission. Our network of passionate professional and student members drive the association through volunteer leadership and is supported by the NIRSA team at headquarters, based in Corvallis, Oregon.
Past Awarded Recipients
- Matthew Rafferty – NIRSA National Basketball All-American, 2015
- Matthew Rafferty – NIRSA Regional Basketball Championships All-Tournament Official, 2014 and 2015
- Mallory Jordan – William N. Wasson Student Leadership and Academic Award, March 2012
- Christopher Green - William N. Wasson Student Leadership and Academic Award, April 2011
- Jacob Ray - William N. Wasson Student Leadership and Academic Award, April 2011