Nontraditional Student Application Checklist

It's your time to shine.

Getting started is easy

Just follow these few simple steps and know we're with you each step of the way.

  • Start your app

    Apply to UNC through either our Bear App or the Common App. Budget about 15 minutes to complete either one.

    We have a $50 application fee. It's non-refundable and payable by credit or debit card. Waivers are available.

  • Send in your transcripts

    Your official high school transcript should be sent directly to UNC from your high school.

    See how to send in your materials below.

  • Submit other documents

    You can supplement your application with materials that help show you’re academically prepared to attend UNC, like test scores, a personal statement and/or letters of recommendation.

If you're applying for a program in the School of Music or School of Theatre Arts and Dance, additional application materials may be required. See additional application requirements for the School of Music or School of Theatre Arts and Dance.

You can also learn more about the RN to BSN program.

How to send in your materials

Our enrollment coaches are ready to assist you through the process of starting or returning to school, connect you with campus resources and help you with any concerns you may have. Reach out to the Office of Admissions at 970-351-2881 with any questions.

  • Email

    Send PDF documents to

  • Postal mail

    Office of Admissions
    1051 22nd St.
    Campus Box 10
    Greeley, CO 80639

  • Fax


Priority deadlines

We encourage you to submit documents as soon as you have them. The sooner you send them, the sooner we can make an admission decision.

  • Fall Semester

    March 1st

    Hard deadline: August 1

  • Spring Semester

    November 1st

    Hard deadline: December 1

  • Summer Semester

    March 1st

    Hard deadline: May 1

Bringing credits to UNC

We gladly accept many types of credit. Reach out if you have any questions.

Transfer credit

UNC requires a minimum of 120 semester credit hours to graduate with a bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of 30 credit hours taken at UNC. Your credits will automatically be evaluated after you’re admitted to UNC. The Office of the Registrar determines which credits are transferable and evaluates that coursework based on previously established equivalencies. Courses that do not have established equivalencies will be sent to academic departments responsible for reviewing new courses.

Use these resources to see how courses will transfer to UNC:

For a complete description of how UNC accepts transfer credits, visit our Registrar’s page.

AP and IB credit

Any Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) credits earned may be used toward the 120-credit minimum requirement for college graduation. When you take the AP or IB examination(s), request that your scores be sent to the University of Northern Colorado's Office of Admissions. UNC will then evaluate your test scores for credit and notify you of the results.

View course equivalencies

Military credit

UNC is proud to support its military community and accepts military credit, VA educational benefits, and the Yellow Ribbon Program.

A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit may be accepted for college-level courses taken under the auspices of the U.S. military services. Credit may also be awarded to veterans of military service who have successfully completed coursework at U.S. military service schools. A Joint Services Transcript (JST), DD214, or official military service school transcript must be submitted. These documents are evaluated by the Office of the Registrar according to recommendations from the American Council on Education in accordance with UNC guidelines. This credit is counted as non-residency transfer work.

Veteran Support

The University of Northern Colorado proudly supports the military-affiliated community by assisting in the transition process and providing a stand-alone space with a strong, inclusive community through UNC's Veterans Services.