Guard & Reserve Get Started
Please be sure to complete each step before continuing to the next.
Attention: You may be eligible for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.
(Important Note: Basic training and/or specialty schools do not count for active duty)
If you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and you are still on active duty (AD) or one of the following:
- Were honorably-discharged from AD.
- Released from AD and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list.
- Released from AD and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve.
- Released from the AD for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces.
If you meet these requirements, please click here.
If the above information does not apply to you, please continue to the following steps.
Step 1. Apply to UNC
Step 2. Apply for benefits (Do you know what benefits you are eligible for? If not, click here. If yes, continue.)
Is this your first time using your GI Bill? If yes, Complete and submit an application for VA Education Benefits, VA Form 22-1990 to the VA through VONAPP.
Are you transferring to UNC from another Institution? If yes, Complete and submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, Va Form 22-1995 to the VA through VONAPP.
Submit your VA Certification Worksheet electronically to UNC Veterans Services (Note: this step must be completed each semester you plan to attend school.)
Steps to submit your VA Certification Worksheet
- Log into your Ursa account.
- Go to the student tab
- On the left side of the screen is a box labeled “Important Links.” Search this box for the link labeled “Veterans Certification Request”
- Be sure to read and follow the applications directions.
- Submit form
Verify your attendance every month through the VA on their Web Automated Verification of Enrollment, W.A.V.E.
To obtain the status of your claim
6:00am – 4:00pm
Or send an electronic inquiry
(24 hours a day, 7 days a week)