Dependent GI Bill Transfers Get Started
Please be sure to complete each step before continuing to the next.
Step 1. Apply to UNC
Step 2. Submit a Request to Transfer Benefits
1. Using your CAC card or DFAS pin, log on to the DoD Transferability of Education Benefits (TEB) Web page located at https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/faces/index.jspx
2. The family members eligible for benefits under DEERS will be shown. (If a dependent’s name is grayed out or the edit button does not work, it means that the member is not eligible for DEERS benefits and thus is not eligible to receive transferred benefits.)
3. Click the edit button for each family member you want to transfer benefits to. Choose the start date and end date, and number of months of benefit. (Spouses can use for 15 years after the member separates/retires; children can use until their 26th birthday)
4. Once you’ve added your family members, check all the boxes to indicate you’ve read and understand each statement on the transfer request page.
5. After you have submitted your request to transfer benefits, in the upper left corner of the TEB site, you will see your name, status submitted, and the date of status will be blank.
6. To track the status of your request, you will have to return to the TEB page and monitor the status.
7. After a request is approved, the status of your request will change to ‘approved’ and the date of status (approval) will be the date you submitted your request. The TEB site will automatically transfer the data to the VA, so that they can process a family member’s request for a certificate of eligibility.
Step 3. Once your request is approved by DOD, your family member must apply for education benefits with VA. Complete and submit an application for VA Education Benefits, VA Form 22-1990e to the VA through VONAPP.
Step 4. Submit your VA Certification Worksheet electronically to UNC Veterans Services (Note: this step must be completed each semester you plan to attend school.)
Steps to submit your VA Certification Worksheet
- Log into your Ursa account.
- Go to the student tab
- On the left side of the screen is a box labeled “Important Links.” Search this box for the link labeled “Veterans Certification Request”
- Be sure to read and follow the applications directions.
- Submit form
Tuition funds will be sent direct from the VA to the school. Children using transferred benefits will receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend. Spouses using transferred benefits will only receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend if they use the benefits after you separate from active duty.