Applying for Your GI Bill Benefits

To begin using your GI Bill or other VA education benefits, complete the following steps.


Step 1. Apply to UNC 

Step 2. Apply for your VA education benefits.
Filling out your Veterans GI Bill paperwork is easy

If this is your first time using your VA education benefits, complete and submit an application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) to the VA through VONAPP.

If you are transferring to UNC from another Institution, complete and submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) to the VA through VONAPP.

Step 3. Fill out your FAFSA. Your VA education benefits generally do not affect your federal student aid. Most aid will be in addition to your your GI Bill benefits.

Step 4. Enroll in classes. Talk with your advisor to get your PIN number so that you can register for classes in URSA.

Step 5. Submit your UNC VA Certification Worksheet. You need to complete Step 4 every semester to continue receiving your benefits.

  1. Log onto your URSA account.
  2. You will receive a login name and password once you are accepted to UNC via email.

  3. Click on the Student tab.
  4. Click on Important Links on the left-hand side.
  5. Select the Veterans Certification Request and complete the form.
  6. Click Submit.

MGIB (Ch 30) members: you must verify your attendance every month through the VA on their Web Automated Verification of Enrollment, W.A.V.E. or by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1.


Additional information:

GI Bill benefits are paid in arrears, which means that payments for January won’t be received until February. Housing allowance benefits are also calculated based on the dates for each semester. The payment in September will be for the last few days of class in August, the payment in February for the partial month of January, and so on.



    UNC has been designated a Military Friendly school
    UNC was designated a Top University by MAET.


    Stay Connected!