Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)


The Post 9/11 GI Bill may cover 100% of your tuition for up to 36 months as well as provide a housing stipend. This benefit can be transferred to your spouse or dependents if you are still active duty.

Am I Eligible?

You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001 and if you are/were:

  • active duty
  • honorably discharged from the active duty
  • retired from active duty or placed on the temporary disability retired list
  • honorably released from active duty and transferred to the Reserves.
  • Title 10 active duty supporting named contingency operations
  • Title 32 service for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing or training the National Guard
  • Title 32 service under section 502(f) for the purpose of responding to a national emergency

How Much Would I Receive?

The amount of the Post 9/11 GI Bill is based on the length of active duty service.

Individuals serving an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of:

Percentage of maximum benefit payable

At least 36 months


At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to service-connected disability


At least 30 months< 36 months


At least 24 months< 30 months


At least 18 months< 24 months


At least 12 months< 18 months


At least 6 months< 12 months


At least 90 days< 6 months



Housing Stipend

Monthly housing allowance is equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as your school (80639). Payments are generally received on the first of the month and will be in arrears for the prior month. Housing stipend will only pay for the dates of the term enrolled. For example: if the fall term begins on August 26th, you will be paid for 5 days of Housing on September 1st. (Note: The VA assumes 30 days per month for pro-rating). Housing Stipends are paid directly to students.

Stipend is also calculated by how many credits you are enrolled in. If you are enrolled in 12+ undergrad credits (9+ credits for graduate studies), you get 100%. Any less is pro-rated and rounded. Example: Enrolled in 9 credits for undergrad is 75%, which means that you would receive 80% of the BAH rate. Use the charts below to help you assess your BAH.

Fall/Spring Undergraduate

Full time

3/4 time

1/2 time

12 credit hours

9 credit hours

6 credit hours


Fall/Spring Graduate

Full time

1/2 time

9 credit hours

5 credit hours

**Below half time enrollment housing is not payable**

**Graduate school does not recognize 3/4 time**

Books and Supplies

Your Post 9/11 book stipend is $1,000 per year as a full time student. That is reduced if you are not registered as full time.

Tuition and Fees

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) benefits for tuition and fee payments are sent directly to the school. Housing allowance, kickers and book stipends are sent directly to the students.
Spouses and Active Duty students utilizing Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits will not receive the housing allowance, book stipend, or kickers while the sponsor is still on active duty.

The VA will pay your student and registration fees including health insurance, if you elect to have UNC insurance. Tuition is the only payment that goes directly to UNC. All other stipends and allowances are paid directly to the student.

Fees not covered:

  • Parking pass
  • Food
  • Campus Housing (Although you receive a monthly housing stipend)
  • Fines (Library, parking, etc.)
  • Printing charges (Although Veterans Services allows you to print for free)
  • Or other charges not required by registration

How many months of assistance can I receive?

Generally, you may receive up to 36 months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

How long am l eligible?

You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days. If you were released for a service-connected disability after at least 30 days of continuous service, you will also be eligible for benefits for 15 years.

How can I transfer to my dependents?

The Post 9/11 GI Bill including the Yellow Ribbon Program may be transferred to dependents if the servicemember is still active-duty and 100% eligible. The service member may have to serve an additional years of service to meet the requirements. Call 1-888-GIBILL-1 to get the most accurate information.

All forms of inactive duty training or annual training do not qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefit.

You may also be eligible if you were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.
For more information visit the VA Education Website.


    UNC has been designated a Military Friendly school
    UNC was designated a Top University by MAET.


    Stay Connected!