Montgomery GI Bill for Reserves and National Guard
The MGIB-SR (Ch 1606 and 1607) is an education program that may provide up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve. This includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Reserves as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. It is the first program that doesn't require a person to serve on active duty in the regular Armed Forces to qualify. Eligible students may use these education benefits while at UNC.
Service member must be in good standing with a drilling Selected Reserve (Guard) unit and meet the following requirements:
- After June 30, 1985, member signed a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve.
- Service member completed Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT).
- Member received a high school diploma or GED before completion of IADT.
- Benefits generally end 14 years from the eligibility date.
- Eligibility period may be extended if member was unable to train due to a service-related disability.
- Eligibility ends at separation from the Selected Reserves.
Campus Box 65