"We now work in an environment that has more universities competing for students and one where 66 percent of our operating budget comes from tuition and fee revenues."
–Robbyn Wacker, UNC provost and senior vice president
UNC’s 2016-2017 enrollment numbers, compared to last year:
- Total enrollment: 12,260, +2.7 percent.
- New first-time freshmen: 2,163, +5.8 percent.
- New transfer students: 788, +7.9 percent.
- New graduate students: 928, +12.5 percent
- Students identifying as a person of color: 29.7 percent of UNC undergraduates: +9 percent, the highest percentage since UNC started collecting data. 15.8 percent of graduate students: +21.8 percent.
- International students: +20.8 percent.
- Residence halls are at 98 percent capacity: +7 percent.