Kathleen O'Neil, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Teacher Education
School of Teacher Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
Campus Box 107
277 McKee, Greeley, CO 80639
Office phone: 970-351-2035
Kathleen O’Neil is a former elementary school teacher and before that, graphic designer and illustrator. Currently she is an Assistant Professor of Education with a focus on elementary literacy. Always curious about how people perceive information, whether from words or images, in the form of an advertisement, website, or picture book, Dr. O’Neil is interested in semiotics and the study of popular culture. In addition to her position at UNC, Dr. O’Neil is a consultant for the Imagination Celebration in Colorado Springs providing support for curriculum design integrating the arts across content areas.
Research Interests and Specializations
Picturebooks, Visual Literacy, Multimodal Literacy, Integration of Literature and Art Across the Content Areas
- Ph. D., University of Colorado, Boulder, Curriculum and Instruction, Elementary Literacy, 2007
- M.A.T., Colorado College, Elementary Education, 1997
- B.A., Pennsylvania State University, Art, 1973
- O’Neil, K. E. (2011). Reading pictures: Developing visual literacy for greater comprehension. The Reading Teacher, 65(3), 191-200.
- O’Neil, K. E. (2010). Once upon today: Teaching for social justice with postmodern picturebooks. Children’s Literature in Education 42(3), 40-51.
- O’Neil, K. E. (2012). Strategic looking: Using reading comprehension strategies with pictures. Connecticut Reading Online: Journal of the Connecticut Reading Association.
- March 2012. Designing Cars and Clothes: Students Performing Identity through Drawing and Writing. National Art Education Association, New York City, NY.
- March 2011. Teaching Art in Reading Class. National Art Education Association, Seattle, Washington.
- November, 2008. Student Produced Podcasts to Extend Learning, National Council of Teachers of English, San Antonio, Texas.
- March 2008. Multimodal Literacy: Transmediation Between Art and Writing to Enhance Learning. National Art Education Association, New Orleans, Louisiana.