Information for Cooperating Teachers
The School of Teacher Education sincerely appreciates your willingness to take part in preparation of the new generation of teachers. UNC places high expectations on its teacher candidates to be supportive, helpful, collaborative and punctual to aid in the cooperating teacher’s classroom environment and school.
Cooperating teacher qualifications are:
- Valid Colorado license in the area of teacher candidate training OR
- submit evidence of demonstrated successful teaching and knowledge of specific content using this form.
- For student teaching or comparable final field experience: At least three(3) years of full time professional experience in the area of teacher candidate training or four (4) years for non-licensed teachers. All other supervision such as practicum requires 2 years of experience.
- Building principal or District approval; recognition as a master teacher or educational professional.
Cooperating teacher expectations vary across the programs; please check with program coordinators. Common expectations:
- Meet with UNC faculty supervisor at the beginning or before the field experience.
- Mentor teacher candidates, observe their teaching and provide constructive, detailed feedback.
- Complete, sign, and turn in evaluation forms and other documentation (see appropriate handbooks).
- Immediately contact UNC supervisor or program coordinator if you have concerns about candidate's professional dispositions.
Forms and information
Field Assessment Form
The Field Assessment Form (FAF) is used to evaluate Elementary and Early Childhood Teacher Candidates at various times during their field experience (see specific handbooks for details). The form can be copied from the handbook or be downloaded here.
Credit for supervision
All UNC cooperating teachers may choose to receive graduate credit for supervising teacher candidates OR a stipend payment. Please see individual program handbook for amounts.
Due to new Federal compliance policies, in order to receive graduate credit, you must complete the request form by the deadline listed. ** PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST USE the appropriate form as indicated below. Old or incorrect forms will be returned to you and could cause you to meet the deadline.
- If you are hosting a teacher candidate for 16 weeks, 5 days per week student teaching, use this form to receive 2 credits.
- If you are hosting a part-time teacher candidate for one of the following experiences use this form to receive 1 credit:
- STEP 363 Secondary, 2 days a week, use this form
- EDEL 445 Literacy Practicum, 2 days a week, use this form
- EDEL 602, MAT: Elementary Education Practicum, 2 days a week, use this form
- EDFE 554 Secondary Postbaccalaureate Practicum
- K-12 Art, Music, or PE candidate during 1st 8 weeks of the semester
- If you are hosting a part-time teacher candidate for K-12 Art, Music or PE during the 2nd 8 weeks of the semester, use this form to receive 1 credit:
There is NO fee attached to these credits. Logs are no longer required.
If a request for credit form is not received by the deadline, you will automatically receive paperwork to process the stipend payment* at the end of the semester. We are sorry, however LATE CREDIT REQUESTS CANNOT BE HONORED.
*Stipend payments for hosting a practicum candidate are paid directly to the school and it is at the discretion of the principal to distribute the stipend.
LICENSURE RENEWAL CREDIT
You may also use mentoring experiences for Colorado Department of Education licensure renewal credit. Please contact Lynette Kerrigan if you wish to receive a verification form to send to CDE for your licensure renewal.