Young Child Program
The Young Child Summer Enrichment Program for high-ability learners is sponsored by the Center for the Education & Study of Gifted, Talented, Creative Learners at the University of Northern Colorado. It serves children ages 4 and 5 and those entering grades 1-4 who show unusual talents and abilities. The program was initiated in 1980 for high-potential, high-ability students and continues to be a successful program each year.
The curriculum incorporates creativity, problem solving and the development of high level thinking skills based on student interests and passions. Classes will be offered in the areas of science, math, world languages and cultures, art, physical activities, music, and literature/language arts.
- July 8: Optional Early Evening Orientation
- July 9-20: Classes meet from 9am to Noon
- July 19: Family Showcase Noon to 1:30pm
- 8:45-8:50: Opening Activities involving all children and parents
- 8:50-9:35: Period One
- 9:35-10:20: Period Two
- 10:20-11:05: Period Three
- 11:05-11:50: Period Four
- 11:50-Noon: Closing Activities involving all children and parents
Classes are taught by early childhood and elementary teachers who have earned or who are working on a Master of Arts Degree in Gifted and Talented Education at UNC. They focus on creating classes that are “hands-on, brains-on” and present new content in creative ways, involve the children in a variety of critical and creative thinking, and work toward developing products that demonstrate what the children have learned.
The social and emotional dimensions are also addressed. They have opportunities to get to know others who share similar interests and intensities. In addition to teaching content and skills the teachers look for undiscovered talents and gifts.
Previous Course Topics
- Aim, Shoot, Print - Digital Photography explorations
- Dabbling in the Visual Arts
- It’s All About You – Many, Mini Explorations – a Multiple Intelligences Sampler
- Life in the Deep Ocean
- Mad Science and Nerdy Math
- Movement and Games
- Musical Performance
- The Sounds of Stories
- Water: Magic or Science
- What’s Your Story Matilda?
- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Beauty and Culture
- Don’t Bug Me!
- Guitar Jam! - Acoustic guitar for young beginners
- Mad Kitchen Scientists
- Physical Science Freak Out!
- Sing With All Your Heart!
- Spanish Mini Course
- World Art
- Writing Upside Down
- Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- What’s Cooking?
- Preserving Memories
- Magnetism and Electricity
- Engineering Buildings and Playgrounds
- What Every Spy Needs to Know
- Recycled Art
- Classroom Campground
- Poetry Jam
The cost for YCSEP is $350.00*
This price includes a Young Child SEP t-shirt.
*We are offering a 10% discount for additional siblings who attend YCSEP
Application Deadline w/ Full Payment Due
If payment is not received by June 1, it will be assumed your child will not attend. Your child's space will be filled by another student.
Receive Acceptance Letter
An acceptance letter will be mailed after your child's completed application is reviewed and approved by the program director.
Register for Courses
You will receive a course registration form in the mail by mid June. Please fill out and return by the date indicated.