Eligible Students and Dependents
- All degree seeking undergraduate students with 9 or more credit hours regardless of the type of class (on campus, off campus, on line) will automatically be charged for the UNC student health insurance plan and the cost will be reflected on the student bill. Undergraduate students have the option to waive out of the plan by completing the on-line waiver via URSA showing proof of comparable coverage prior to the deadline, which is the 10th day of classes. Deadline to waive the UNC insurance plan for fall 2013 will be September 9th.
- All degree seeking graduate students enrolled in at least 6 credit hours regardless of the type of class (on campus, off campus, on line) will automatically be charged for the UNC student health insurance plan and the cost will be reflected on the student bill. Graduate students have the option to waive out of the plan by completing the on-line waiver via URSA showing proof of comparable coverage prior to the deadline, which is the 10th day of classes.
- Students who waived the student insurance in a previous semester but want to be on the insurance plan for the current semester may complete a request for re-enrollment. If you request the re-enrollment during the open enrollment period at the start of the semester (no later than the 10th class day), you will be insured with the Student Insurance beginning on the effective date of coverage for that semester. You must meet the other enrollment criteria as stated in this document.
- If you want to enroll in the Student Insurance after the open enrollment period, you must show proof of the loss of your other coverage and the enrollment form needs to be approved by the insurance company before the coverage will be effective. Coverage will begin on the date the insurance company approves the enrollment. Coverage will not be back dated.
- Undergraduate students who are enrolled for less than nine (9) hours, or Graduate students enrolled for less than six (6) hours of classes are not eligible to participate in the UNC SHIP.
- Students must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date for which coverage is purchased unless he or she withdraws due to an Injury or Sickness and the absence is an approved medical leave. The Company maintains its right to investigate student status and attendance records to verify that the Eligibility requirements have been met. If the Company discovers the Eligibility requirements have not been met, its only obligation is refund of premium. Please contact the Student Health Insurance Office at (970) 351-1915 for details.
An Insured student's Dependents (spouse and children) are eligible
to participate in this Plan. Dependent enrollment must take place
at the initial time of student enrollment or beginning with the next
enrollment period, with the exception of newborn or adopted
children. Dependent coverage is available only if the student is
also insured. Dependent coverage cannot exceed the coverage of
the Insured student and expires concurrently with that of the
A Dependent means: (a) the Insured Student's spouse; (b) the
Insured Student's Children under the age of 26 years; or (c) the
Insured Student’s Children to age 26 who are not defined as
dependents under (a) or (b) above if such children: (i) have the
same legal residence as the Insured Student or the Insured
Student’s Spouse; or (ii) are financially dependent on the Insured
Student or the Insured Student’s Spouse. Eligible child(ren) are the
insured students own children, stepchildren, lawfully adopted
children who may have been placed with the Insured student for
the purposes of adoption. Contact UNC Student Health Insurance
Office for Dependent Enrollment information.
At the birth of a child to a covered student or covered spouse while the student’s insurance is in force, that child will automatically become a Covered Person from the moment of birth, including: 1) Injury; 2) Sickness; 3) Medically Necessary care and treatment of congenital defects and birth abnormalities; 4) necessary care and treatment of cleft lip and cleft palate, and 5) other care specifically indicated in the Policy. Coverage will continue without cost for 31 days. If the student has no other covered children, payment for the child’s coverage must be remitted within that 31-day period, or the coverage will terminate for that child at the end of the 31-day period. Hospital charges and associated ancillary charges in conjunction with newborn well baby care following birth are eligible expenses subject to Deductible and Coinsurance