Information for International Students

All international undergraduate students at the University of Northern Colorado who are enrolled for 9 or more credits, and all graduate students who are enrolled in 6 or more credits, are required to have an adequate health insurance policy that meets the university standards.The semester premium is automatically added to the student's bill.

While we highly recommend international students remain on the UNC-sponsored health insurance, if the student can show proof of comparable insurance (written in the English language), they are allowed to waive out of the UNC Student Health Insurance if the student completes the online waiver process no later than the 10th day of class each fall.

NOTE: If you did not waive the school insurance in Fall 2016, you can waive for Spring 2017 by logging into URSA, choose the Student tab and under Student Applications click on the "Online Health Insurance Waiver" link. This will only waive the insurance for Spring 2017. You will need to complete the waiver again in the fall for the 2017-2018 year. The deadline to waive for spring is January 23rd at 5:00 pm.

Waiver Instructions:

Login to URSA
Choose the Student Tab
On the Student page, under Student Applications, you will find a link to the Online Insurance Waiver.
If you need assistance or would like to check if your waiver was processed correctly, call Cece Clark at 970-351-1915 or email

Information for Students and Visiting Scholars with J Visas

In addition to the insurance requirements UNC has, the United States government requires that students and visiting scholars with J visas and their dependents must have health insurance plans that contain the following provisions:

  • Medical benefits of $50,000 for each accident or illness;
  • Repatriation benefits of $7,500 to return a student or scholar's body to their home country if they die while in the United States;
  • Evacuation coverage of $10,000 to return a student or scholar to their home country for medical treatment;
  • Maximum deductibles of $500.

We are pleased to tell you that the UNC Student Health Insurance plan meets all of the requirements of this regulation. We understand, however, that you may want to purchase an insurance plan other than ours.

Please contact the Center for International Education, located at the University Center, for further information regarding the health insurance requirements.

Failure to comply with the regulation may result in termination of your study or research program.