Nothing by mouth for two hours after the last time vomiting.
Then: Ice chips for one hour
Then a clear liquid diet:
- Weak sweetened tea
- 7-UP, Ginger Ale, Sprite, other clear soft drinks
- Chicken broth, beef broth, consume, bouillon
- Jello, Kool-Aid, sweetened fruit drinks
- Popsicles, sherbert
NO colas, caffeine, orange juice, grapefruit juice, tomato juice (no acidic juices)
NO Dairy Products
Start with small amounts such as one ounce (two tablespoons) per hour for 2 to 4 hours and slowly increase to larger amounts as long as there is no vomiting. Liquids at room temperature are usually tolerated best.
- Tea (clear liquids)
- Toast, pretzels and crackers
Start with small amounts to determine if solid food will be tolerated. Gradually increase amounts if no abdominal cramping or diarrhea.
Gradually return to normal foods, eating small amounts frequently to test your tolerance of each food. Avoid alcohol, fried or greasy foods, highly seasoned foods, dairy products and foods that you know will usually cause gastro-intestinal distress until you are back to normal for several days.
- No fresh fruits or vegetables except bananas
- No Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, etc..
- May have mashed, baked, or boiled potatos
- May have baked or broiled chicken, turkey, or fish
For more information contact the UNC Student Health Center at 351-2412.